dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tnborn, Aug 6, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hey, some people moved and left behind 3 dogs. I am trying to find a home for them. 2 are black labs and both are pregnant. the other one I have no clue what it is. I can't take those home because I already own 5 dogs. Hubby said no.
    tnborn

2. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

I get so disgusted with people like that. Animals are not disposible like kleenix! It just makes me want to put ads in the paper announcing that Mr. and Mrs. So and So moved, leaving behind their animal family members, yada yada yada If interested in adopting these abandoned family members, drive by and offer food. As they are starving you should have no problem in adopting.

I have a couple of large dogs and 4 cats because of people just driving out into the country and dumping them (to give them a chance). These made it past the coyotes to our house.

Have you contacted any animal shelters?

3. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

4. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

No. The reason that I haven't is they are a kill shelter. If the animals are not adopted,...well you know the outcome. I thought someone on this board may be interested in maybe one of them.I feed all three at the post office this morning. Boy, they sure were hungry.
    tnborn

5. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

1. Post this on the dog forum.

2. People need to know where you are located.

3. No, I have too many already.

4. If they are labs, there should be a group someplace near that takes in unwanted labs.

5. Good luck!

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I love the idea of putting an ad in the paper using your neighbor's names. Well, you have to use their names so people know which dogs you are talking about, right?

7. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Put up a sign at the feed store, pet food store, etc.

The shelter may be the place for them to go. If they are left to their own devises, they may not make it at all. The mama dogs will have to have a way to nourish the pups, once they are born, and it won't be easy without a steady supply of food.

Good luck!!!!

8. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

People who just leave their pets drive me insane. Its like they think that since they are animals and they dump them in the country they will magicly become wild and fend for themselfs. An animal bred in captivity doesnt just KNOW how to live on its own. Its so great of you to help these dogs find a home. More people should be like you so keep up the good work. If the dogs have puppies while you still have them then just put up a "free lab puppies" sighn outside your house. Puppies are way easier to get rid of then big dogs. Best of luck to ya'

9. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Try Fleacycle and Freecycle ads on internet. shadowwalker

10. rr

rr Active Member

Search the Web for Labrador Retriever Rescue and call the one that serves your area.