dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by caroline00, Jan 24, 2005.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

our dog died this evening

yesterday he seemed fine. I didnt look at him early this morning... our son came and told my husband that she was sick. She was laying around...not eating (but her dish has been empty when our daughter filled it this morning)

When she died, her stool was very dark brown and soft and she had dark brown (saliva?) coming from her mouth. That makes me think that she had internal bleeding.

I know nothing about dog health. She was my husbands dog. I made sure that she got all her shots, heart worm med monthly, etc. She was wormed and had her yearly shots in Sept. Shes had a good appetite up until today. She didnt show any sign of injury at all although a stray pit bull has been hanging around lately. She was 3 years old and never before appeared sick.

so what do you think was wrong with her?
    thanks

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

an angry neighbor that fed her meat laced with ground up glass? it's more common than people think. and a horrid way to put down an animal.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Hard to say, just about need a Vet type docky-poo to examine and still you might not know for sure without some expensive ???? tests.

Might have been poisoned. Hopefully you didn't let her run loose. People will do the damnest things to dogs and even kids these days. Sorry to hear about it. Would hate to think somebody did something deliberately. If so you got a problem to watch out for in many other areas.

Could even got something in the house. Any rat poison or whatever around? They go pretty quick if they get that sort of stuff.

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

she never ran loose and never came in the house. She was generally not a night time barker unless we had company and we havent had over night guests for quite awhile. She had access under the house though.... hmmm...

we had a cat get snake bit under the house once but it is the wrong season for that.

we dont keep rat poison etc because we have cats...

5. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

sounds like what happened to my dog back in october, but she lived for about 4 days after she coughed up the brown stuff, sorry bout your loss, take whatever you can to the vet let them examine it, you wont find the answer here.

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

The one other quick thing. Did anyone give her chicken bones or bones of any type in the days prior?. Chicken bones can shatter into knife like pieces when chewed and cut up the insides causing internal bleeding and eventually death.

A no-no to ever feed most types of fowl, maybe even some smaller animals thin walled bones to a dog. Doesn't always happen, might have a low percentage chance but it can happen.

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

If I had to guess, it would sound like some sort of poisoning. Unless you find what the dog got into, it would seem that only a vet exam or autopsy would confirm the cause of death.

We lost a schnuzer years ago that developed bizarre tastes for things. She got into some pot pouri and died from it. Was devestating to find that out. She had brown vomit and the vet said basically it burned out her stomach. Very sad and something learned the hard way for me. :waa:

8. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

As a raw food feeder I must point out that raw chicken bones do not shatter only cooked ones.
    Sorry for your loss.
    It does sound like it could of been something bad she ate.
    I would sure want to get a vet to check it out.

9. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. :waa: