dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rob30, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

what does everyone do with their dogs. I have 3. You always see pictures of the nice farm with mans best friend running free. But you don't see is the droppings all over the place. I don't want to them up but I am sick of looking at the mess. Especially in Ontario, when the snow melts and there is more poop then grass.

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My four dogs won't poop in their yard. I think the routine we have helps with that. When we first get up in the morning (the dogs sleep in the house with us) my husband takes them out for a walk. They poop while out on the walk. When he gets home from work he takes them for another walk and then takes them one more time before bed. While he is at work I leave them outside. They usually go off somewhere to poop as they seem to want their yard to be clean.

I think you could train your dogs to not poop in the yard.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Have 3 small dogs now with room to roam, though they do pick certain areas of 'preference' to poop. I snowed about 4 more inches today and no poop showing on the ground. In spring I rake up sometimes and burn it.
    The big dog used to always go farther away from the house in the tall grass to poop. Obviously, I don't live in town, eh?

4. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Clean it up, compost it or toss it into the woods. I also use it around the garden perimeter to chase critters....works fine so far!

5. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Our Pyrenees are gracious enough to go into the woods far away from the cabin. But the house dogs..GRRR! They barely make it off the porch. I KNOW what you're talking about. As if we don't have enough to do out here! Picking up dog poops always seems to be forgotten, and then suddenly, you can't even walk on the shoveled paths without stepping in it. Major pet peeve.

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

My border collies go out in the pasture. When they are pups, they go right outside of the barn. When they get old enough to venture, they go across the fence out into the pasture.
    Now my barn cats are a different story.

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Dogs poop? Mine is too shy to ever let us know about that function....of course, with 20 acres, she probably thinks "one for my humans and 19 for me!"

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We have 6 Golden Retrievers who all (sigh) do it right in the front yard. On the other hand... in the winter it snows alot. So the husband regularly scoups it up and heaves it into the middle of our dirt road. Where the town plow most thoughtfully take it away!

We're not sure where it goes, but it goes away!

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

well, the pom's go on the deck, and then iwash it off, if it doesn't rain. and the great pyrneese, are in the goat parture, so that is the way it works here. I have ome pom, that thinks he can go just any where, but is very funny about that when we are traveling, he will tell me when he ha to go, so I can stop and let him go. never will figure that dog out. any place in the house is game, but not the truck. I wish he was as fussy in the house. but he is a little 3 pound dog, and only goes about a teapoon and one half at a time, if he were a big dog, well, we just couldn't have him. :haha: :no: :no: :no: :D

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm...maybe it's a Border Collie trait. All of mine are Border Collie mixes except for one Black Lab and he just follows everyone else. They all prefer going to the pasture in the taller grass.

11. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

Mine go in the pasture a good ways from the house. I have to untie my son's German Shepard twice a day because she starts whining and won't go to the bathroom where she is tied up. Since she had puppies she kills my chickens if I don't watch her.

12. Whistling Pines

Whistling Pines Member

we have 3 dogs also when we don't have a litter of english bulldog pups (they are supplement income) The GSD goes all over the 10 acres, marking his territory I guess, the bulldog, she goes as soon as she is out the door, and can't get her to go anywhere but where she wants to, and the Blue healer barn dog kept going in the barn with the horses :waa: . We kept moving her waste out to one specific spot in the pasture, and after about two weeks of this she found the spot and has continued to go there ever since. It has helped keep the poo away from the house and barn

13. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

Mine would prefer to go when we take walks but I don't always take them out in time. Then they tend to go near the donkey pen. During the summer months the dung beatles clean it up, otherwise I have to. Dung beatles are some of my favorite bugs!!

14. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

There are so many people and so many dogs and so much poop that there are now three :eek: firms that offer yard clean up on a weekly or more or less basis. For a fee, of course, but it runs around $7 a trip. which may be reasonable if you really hate cleaning up the yard. I don't know how they manage in the winter. the stuff freezes linto the snow and can't be scooped.

15. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

My border collies don't poop in the yard. I never had to train them to do that, they just don't care to step in their own poo either.

16. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

My big dogs use the wooded area at the edge of the grass... My little one uses it where she wants to go (ususally in the front yard. :no: )

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

well before the ducks destroyed the grass turf....

I kept the grass cut low with a bagger push mower i got just for the dogyard. what plops you cant easily rake&shovel once or so a week, the bagger mower sucks up and mixes with green grass clipping.
    with carefull handling, and a place to dump the poop grass, it works prett well.

right now, whenthe mud dries there is no grass. you dont want grass... buy ducks.

every few weeks i lime the yard pretty heavy befor eit rains ands that seems to keep everything good.

dogs aint my problem its CATS.
    cats are filthy creatures, and sneaky. they bury their turds for a reason; camoflage. if you see it you wont step in it and the cats wont get a good laugh out of it.
    anywhere there is loose dirt, they try to poop.
    Ive been reslagging the driveway, they have to usee both paws to heave the slag but they do and have bee pooping in it.
    I picked up the last one in mid-poop and dropped him i the duckpond.
    he hasnt tried the driveway again.
    a few of my more geneticly challanged cats dont even bury it... they stop grunt and keep walking. one of them dont even stop walking it drops out his butt as he goes..

i think I have hit the inbreeding wall with cats; do it to long to keep the nice cats around and they end up laike bad photocopies... not quite right.
    The new siamese mother that wandered in has been making better kids, they dont seem to crap all over like the bad copies do.

no real alternintive for small dog yards but turd duty every week.

18. shaycool

shaycool Well-Known Member

Wait until it freezes and then get out the golf clubs.....time for a liitle driving...

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

We have lots of room, but when the dogs were pups I took them out to the tall grass to poop. They now continue it unless a strange dog visits and does his business nearby which I have to clean up to discourage further marking. Training helps.

20. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Man... y'all have some poop problems, there. :no: I have 8 Chihuahuas, One Greyhound, 11 Pekingese...........

My solutions for you guys.....

Move to Texas away from that poop hiding snow;
    get more property,
    (and for those nice enclosures to keep them away from the carnivorous nite time critters); a good boy with a poop scooper works wonders for the ocasional nite nite doo doos!!

Happy poop scoopin'!! :yeeha: