Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a bunch of yelling outside and thought DB had lost his mind or something. He was chasing two big dogs who were harassing the goats and the birds. Chased them all the way home and told the owners next time the dogs messed with our livestock they would come home dead. Guess I will have to keep a gun a bit closer to my old self for a bit. Thank goodness we have a good tall fence around the goat yard...but the dogs sure scared them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm glad your goats are ok! :) I came home a couple of years ago to find someone's dogs running my heavy bred does from outside the pen. I knew who they belonged to, called Dad(to borrow the .22), called the sheriff, and then intercepted the owner when he came looking for them. After I finished ripping him a new one, he was intercepted by Dad at the other end of our property. We've never seen his dogs again. It took my girls a couple of days to settle down completely and, thankfully, none of them aborted.

On a more serious note, and if you don't mind me making a suggestion? You may want to reconsider telling dog owners who allow their dogs to run that you will shoot their dogs. Anyone who is irresponsible enough to allow their dogs to run probably isn't going to understand why chasing livestock is a problem and it could open you up to some very serious retaliations. I simply shoot, shovel and shut up. I know a few people who had to deal with retaliations after shooting someone's dog, and it got ugly!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Having the same problem right now with dogs trying to get at my goats. Know the owner of 2 of them. Went and talked to him and they haven't been back. The others I'm still having problems with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts