Dogs with sensitive stomachs

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by beorning, Aug 20, 2006.

1. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I have a border collie that has an extremely sensitive stomach. We feed him science diet lamb and rice. I've gone through most of the readily available foods and this one sits best with him. Problem is that he still periodically throws it all up. I haven't tried any of the really high end food, because I can't afford it. The science diet is killing me at $35 for 40 lbs, but I keep buying it because he can't seem to handle anything else. He goes through a bag a month.

Anyone have any experience with a dog that has a sensitive stomach? ANy solutions that don't break the bank?

Thanks in advance.

2. deb

deb Well-Known Member

I would read the ingredients on your Science Diet Lamb & Rice bag and see what else is in there. I haven't read the label for a couple of years, but the last time I did Rice was NOT the only grain used in that food.

I have been feeding our dogs Sensible Choice foods for about 11 years. Rice is the only grain used. I used feed them Lamb & Rice; After marrying DH, I switched the dogs to Sensible Choice Chicken & Rice because lamb products irritate DH.

The food is affordable and after you've collected 10 product ids from the bags you can send them in for a free bag.

-deb
    in wi

3. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

4. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

5. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I have a 20% off coupon you can use right now at www.petfooddirect.com
    it is: PET3345

A 40# bag is $29.59 plus shipping (no tax) with the 20% off.
    If you but 5 bags at one time, 200# UPS discounts shipments over 200#'s

You will actually come out as cheap or cheaper than science diet and be feeding a MUCH higher quality food IMO

6. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I have a dog that had a very sensitive stomach for years. First he was on Science Diet Adult, then he was on Science Diet sensitive stomach. His pancreas was starting to get irritated and the Vet put him on Science Diet W/D, made him even sicker. Vet did abdominal xrays and found out his heart was starting to enlarge and vet put him on heart med that made him sicker yet. I did some internet research and put him on a RAW fresh diet, suppliments for his heart and he hasn't been sick a day since. That was 3 1/2 years ago. His heart problem also stopped progressing.....he had a cardiac ultrasound done to clear his heart for a dental.
    That Science Diet is garbage IMHO. He'll be 13 years old next month.
    [​IMG]

7. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

My dog always lost a bunch of what she ate. We try to keep the protein level down below 21-22% and that seems to help her a lot.

8. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

My collie had parvo as a pup and his stomach was sensitive afterwards so I put him on a 1/4 cup of unsweetened plain yogurt every day. He and the other dog loved it. It really helped with his stomach.

9. beorning

Thanks for all the information, everyone. I'm going to try sensible choice. There are a few retailers near me that sell it, so I'll probably buy a small bag just to try it out first. I'd hate to make a 200lb commitment before i was sure my border will eat it. I'll try the yogurt, too. Makes sense that it might help.

10. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

In the ingredients, it also has beet pulp and rice husks.

Did you ever try giving any kind of probiotics? Yogert cultures. If your dog was ever on any antibiotic, it can throw off their intestines.

11. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I liked the sensible choice when I fed kibble- it is on my list of acceptable foods for puppy buyers. My dogs did well with it, but some just picked at it after awhile.

12. beorning

He's never had antibiotics. I fed him some yogurt about an hour ago. He liked it, which was good. He's usually pretty leary of new foods until he gets used to them. My heeler liked it too, but that was no shock. She'll eat the vacuum cleaner if you don't keep an eye on her... :)

I just read the Science diet ingredient list. Wheat and corn, as well as several kinds of other animal products. Guess I should start reading more and quit taking everything the vet pushes as irreproachable.

I've been thinking about raw food diets for awhile. Once we move somewhere where we can raise the meat for it, I'll probably switch both the dogs over. It doesn't seem economically viable right now.

13. teacherlisa

teacherlisa Active Member

I have a dog w/ a sensitive stomach that can only handle Purina Healthy choice, lamb/rice. It is pretty cheap- you might look for that if the other doesn't work.

14. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

oh, there is another dog in the home. i was wondering.

does the dog with the tricky stomach get to eat totally by himself? a dog that feels like he has to eat fast before another dog takes it away from him, will often gulp his food too fast, or eat too much at once, then throw part of it back up.

just a thought...

15. beorning

He's had the problem since he was a pup. He's seven and my heeler mix is one. She also eats in her crate in the living room and he eats in the dining room, so I don't think there's a competition issue.

I've tried the Purina Healthy choice. It didn't go over so well, in terms of solving the problem :(

16. Ella

Ella Active Member

My dog also has a sensitive stomach. I was hoping to start RAW, but I recently found out she is allergic to chicken. Food allergies are not common, but it could be a possibility.

17. Country

Country Well-Known Member

My Border Collie has had stomach problems since he was a pup. He is 7 now. We feed Maximum Nutrition from Walmart and he tolerates it very well. Have you tried elevating your dog's bowl and feeding multiple smaller meals. The vet told me my dog also had underdeveloped muscles in his throat. I either elevated his bowl or had him lie down to eat and drink. Worked very well. Good luck.

18. beorning

I bought a 40 lb bag of sensible choice lamb and rice today. On sale for $25 at the local big box pet store. Doc (my border) loved it. He ate a bowlful in about 10 minutes tonight. It usually takes him an hour to work through a meal. He isn't one for novelty, either. The last time I switched his food he didn't eat for four days.

Thanks for all the advice,everyone. It remains to be seen, how agreable the new food is with his stomach, but he seems to be doing better with it.

19. deb

deb Well-Known Member

If he has any trouble with it, try putting some water on the kibble and letting it sit a while before giving it to him. We have to do this for one of our other dogs, Annie. Annie used to barf up food just when her stomach started digesting it and the food expanded. Adding the water softens it up and it doesn't expand so much when being digested.

Deb
    in wi

20. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My American Bulldog has a sensitive stomach even on raw. The yogurt suggestion is great. Thanks for the advice on that (even if it wasn't my question :) ) What works best for Jack is lamb and rice kibble (no other grains) and raw ground beef.