Dogs with sensitive skin...

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by RedTartan, Aug 23, 2006.

1. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

I have a miniature schnauzer that had a severe infestation of fleas. I put Advantage on him and he was completely flea-free in 2 days. It's been a month and there are still no fleas on him, but he continues to scratch.

I bathed him with Neutragena T-Gel shampoo and that helped marginally for a couple of days. He's getting hot spots that I'm treating with success as they arise.

How do I get him to stop itching? I'm assuming his skin needs to be "calmed", that it's hyper-sensitive right now. I've had terrier breeds before with this problem too, so I'm hoping someone here has had this problem and found a solution.

Thanks,

:) RedTartan

2. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

We had a dog that did not have fleas just itched all the time. Dr said it was due to dry skin and to give it a bath in Keri oil, which can be purchased at a drug store, Target etc. It did work.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

You could try some Benadryl, maybe about a child's dose for a 10-15# schnauzer, maybe be an adult dose for a 25# dog.

4. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Bet it's his diet. What are you feeding him? My sister has a schnoodle. When I visited, I told her she HAD to change her diet. We went to the farm store and I saw Natural Choice and said she had to start feeding it. She complained that it was more expensive and yadda yadda... A week later, she called to thank me. No more itching or hot spots. The dog's skin was getting beautiful within that week.

5. Pyrenees

Pyrenees Well-Known Member

If the onset of itching coincided with the fleas...flea allergy (to the flea saliva) would be at the top of the suspicion list. If he is giving himself hotspots, regardless of the allergy, he might need something stronger than a topical or an antihistamine...i.e. vet visit.

Please don't stop with the Advantage...go for at least 3 months.

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

One of my dogs has sensitive skin and Ive had good luck with "Mane and Tail" medicated shampoo from Tractor Supply.