Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a lg. older dog w/ three legs that has come to live at our farm. He is a good dog, has manners, will fetch with the best of pups, and just a lovable old guy. He belongs to dh's cousin ( who lives thru the woods from us). At first, we would call them to come get him--thinking they would be worried about where he was and a few times they would come over and pick him up. This went on for several yrs. Well, he stayed gone for a few weeks (and we thought he may have died) and then one day just after Christmas he was laying under the maple trees near our swings and has stayed! They haven't called or come by and we haven't called them. We put food and water out for him after a few days.. We treat him as he were ours--and since spring --I have purchased a tick collar and monthly, I give him Frontline and Interceptor (heartworm med). He needs to be bathed and clipped he has long hair and it is matted and he looks rough. I have thought about calling them and asking if we could just have him. They are trying to sell their house and property and will be moving to town--in a fancy sub-divison. Today, my dh made the statement that he was going to call cousin and remind him that when he moved he was to take the dog with him! :Bawling: Dh thinks that we will have to deal with him when he is dying and that really just breaks my dh's heart! I know they don't love him or try to take care of him and it makes me sad that they may put him in the pound or put him down. He is happy , doesn't bother a thing--nothing --and gets lots of attention at our farm but he has slowed down sooo much in the last few weeks--heat? and he doesn't get into the little dog swimming pool we have there for all our dogs.. We have nine dogs--what would one more be??? What do you think--should we call and ask to keep him, should we just keep feeding and loving him or should we call and demand they come get him??? Thanks QB

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Keep feeding him.

You are all he has and you obviously recognize it isn't much to make him happy in his last years.

Sometimes we have to finish what others start, be it for our own good or not.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Keep feeding him and giving him the care he needs. They haven't bothered to call or check to see if he's there (knowing he's shown up there before) since Spring? They don't care and don't want him back. He's better off with you.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They haven't called or checked on him since a few days after Christmas! I guess we'll just be running an 'old-folks home for doggies'---10 dogs over the age of 12yrs.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
He wants to be with you. Dogs know where they are loved and cared for.

When I was growing up, we lived 12 miles from town. and old man my dad knew had, not a nice man (*%*%*%*) had been to his old home place just down the road from our farm.
He had brought his dog (Banjo) with him and I was smitten with Banjo, as I am with most dogs. I spent the best part of the day running the hills, creeks and the farm with Banjo.
The old man (can't remember his name anymore) loaded up and he and Banjo went home to the city.
2 days later Banjo showed up at our door! I figured the old man was back down at his homeplace. Dad drove me down there so I could let him know about the dog, and he was not there. My dad went home and called him and he had not been back to the country since Sunday!
We took Banjo home to the city and 2 days later he was back!
I got to keep Banjo after the second time he appeared!

·
Joyce
371 Posts
Oh, he is there with you all because he senses he is wanted and loved there. I know it is bad when they get old and something happens, but I always think that they had a good life and just wonderful peace when they have been loved and wanted. Forget the cousin. He does not love that dog! It is hard to tell what he would do to him. Just keep 'im and love 'im.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Yeah, they don't care about the dog. I say he stays, he's just an old guy who wants a sunny spot to nap in, a little kibble, and the occasional pat on the head. At least if he stays with you, he'll be loved, and if he winds up suffering, as old dogs tend to do, you'll do what's right for him even if it does cost a little cash and a lot of tears.

Personally I think it's awful when people turn old animals out to fend for themselves; here's hoping cousin and his clan don't get a new pup anytime soon... or ever.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Sounds like the dog has already made the decision! ....... 'Fraid you'll just have to go along with it. (Smart dog.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts