Dogs passing sore throat/cough around...how to treat?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Ravenlost, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

First hubby had a sore throat, then Riley, Brawn (took him to vet Saturday and they prescribed Ciprofloxacin plus gave him two shots), now Angus and Bonnie. The cough is pretty bad and they seem to lose their appetite. Riley and Brawn are fine now, it seems to last about five days.

Anything I can do to help them get over this?

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Strep throat! A friend had a chronic case years ago...her doc said someone in the house was a carrier and they tested the dh and all children. None of them had it, but my friend kept getting it, so they tested the dog. Sure enough, he was the culprit! So the dog went on meds and his human cleared right up.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I know what it is! They have kennel cough. All the dogs who are sick spent several days at the kennel during Thanksgiving. I just did some research on kennel cough and it described their coughing fits perfectly.

Now to figure out what type of cough medication to give them!

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Yeah that would be the right time frame. The others will probably get it too now. Ask the vet when you go to get Drake x-rayed tomorrow what he would recommend for as a suppressant.

5. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

For our pup they had us get a children's cough formula (I think it was Robbutussin) It had to be JUST cough stuff. Your vet should be able to tell you over the phone what the exact drug name is and how much based on your dog's weights. My pup also had to have 2 courses of antibiotics (hers didn't respond to the first one tried) but she was very sick and only 8 weeks old (with so many worms it is a wonder she was getting any nourishment as well as covered in fleas....yeah we rescued her :)). I only used it at night time when her coughing kept me awake. I was always told by doctors that coughing was not a bad thing as it is what keeps the lungs clear.