Dogs Names

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by billdarlene, Dec 23, 2004.

1. billdarlene

billdarlene Well-Known Member

We will be getting a grt pyrns at the end of jan a female just wanted some names what are your dog names.

Thanks and Happy Hollidays

2. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

My best dog was named Dixie! She was quite a dog. I'd love to have someone name a dog Dixie.

3. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

The smartest dog I ever owned was a collie named Rusty.
    Right now I have Ruthie(a husky)and Grace(a rottie/aussie mix).
    The dog I miss the most was an english bulldog named Sherman.

4. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Simon, Minnie and Alice. Simon and Minnie arrived from the shelter with those names. I'm a firm believer in giving people names to dogs. In some small way it forces people to give them a little more respect that they would offer otherwise.

It's hard to take someone/somedog named 'Spot' or 'Bruiser' seriously. But a person or dog with a name like 'Gabriel' or 'Johnathan' gets comparatively more respect.

-Jack

5. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

The best hunting dog I ever owned was a Vizsla named Beau. I don't recommend Beau because it sounds to much like woh. His son, I named Thor. My next dog I'm going to name Dude.

6. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

7. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

We named our female G. Pyrenees 'Fancy'. The name seems to suit her. GP's are different dogs. They tend to be pretty shy with strangers and are not too social with anyone. We love Fancy, she seems to watch and protect our two kids very well but the chickens are on their own!! We have an occasional coyote, stray dog, or hawk raid the free ranging chickens. She may bark but doesn't actively intervene. She is friendly with the meter reader because he brings her a treat. However if we(especially the kids)are at home when he comes, she will not allow him out of the truck!! She barks a lot at night so hopefully your neighbors are far away. The colder it is the happier she is. TnTnTn

8. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Our current dog is Buster White Toes....Buster for short. He's a male 8 yr old brindle boxer with...you guessed it...white toes. Our previous dog was an all white male Boxer named Casper. His only color was "eyeliner" unless he was dirty. We had to put a red colar on him when it snowed.

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I love naming dogs after their character or personality mostly. Maybe also some throwback in naming them by their origin or something.

I had a Kuvasz whos name was Sonja. It perfectly suited her both gracefully and her swedish father.

I have now 3 westies:
    The father is Angus...the perennial Scottish origiin to his Highlander 'status'
    The mother is Lucy, because she's sort of aloof and a bit clingy, but needs her 'space'
    The daughter westie is a runt named Lily. because we bottle raised her and saved her tiny form with some esbilac and nutrition that included "lily White Corn Syrup" .......that makes sense, and the fact shes 'Lily White' so her registered name is french 'Lil le Banc'

I had other westies named Max because we didn't like his original name of 'Otto'. seems he had some german background..he had a long nose and sung with opera on t.v.
    I had Muffin which was a tiny westie butterball and named a kennel after her and the snow white color....snowmuffin

I named puppies that Lucy had in a litter. The most friendly and outgoing one was 'Sunny'. He went to sunny oklahoma
    Celine was a show off star for the rink....like Celine Dion :haha:
    Cesar was the best of the litter male....self explanatory...hail Cesar! :worship:

That's sorta how I've gone about it.
    Have fun. :D

10. goldenlady

goldenlady Well-Known Member

We have golden retreivers. Our male is named Cooper and the females are: Cinamon, Ginger and Sophie. They are fabulous dogs - loving and gentle with the children but will bark furiously when someone drives into the yard. They are big enough to give anyone pause for which I'm glad.

11. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

The dog of my heart, the one that I will never ever stop loving was my old english sheepdog. Her name was Ms. Godot.

I now name my animals after I'm around them a while, they usually sort of name themselves.

My son named our first pyrs Powder and Chowder.

Merry Christmas.

12. Timedess

Timedess Guest

We currently have a black dog that looks a lot like a black golden retriever. We got him from the pound for my oldest son when he was 9 (the son, not the dog), and my son happily named him "Blackie"- it suits him perfectly! He has been my son's best friend for almost 6 years, now.

Our other dog showed up as a 2 month old puppy, huddled miserably underneath a fire hydrant trying to stay dry (it didn't work). My son and I ran out and 'rescued' her. After finding that noone in the neighborhood would claim her, and indeed, another family had found 2 more just like her (they had been dumped! :no: ), we decided to adopt her. She looks for all the world like a full-blooded yellow lab, and she got her name when my then-2yo son tried to say 'puppy' and couldn't quite get it. Her name? Happy. It fits her personality perfectly. I am still trying to figure out if her name reflects her personality, or if her personality reflects her name. I'm rather a believer in the latter. She is the smiliest dog I've ever known! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

We've also had dogs named Bingo (an Aussie mix), Lil' Preacher Man (nicknamed 'Bubba'), Jumpin' Joshua (Bubba's brother but not littermate), and Little Mister. Bingo was a great dog, Bubba was awesome- a reall down-home BUBBA!, Joshua kept getting out and killing the neighbors' chickens (surprising for a Schipperkee) so we had to get rid of him before we could really figure his personality out, and Little Mister, a Blue Heeler cross, was a nice enough dog but not the close companion that Happy and Blackie are now. Little Mister also ended up being a 'kid herder', somplete with using the teeth, so he went to a nice new home on a sheep ranch. :)

13. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

I heard that also, that GP are barkers!!!! My favorite dog I had was a Great Dane Called Tag!!!! The two pups I have now are Blaze and Gunner, Hench my ranch name, blazingguns!!!!!

14. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

My childhood dog was a beautiful Siberian Husky named Blue. He had perfect black and white markings, the curved tail and baby blue eyes. He was gentle and loving with us. Always very clean and quite. But he was very protective and if he did not want you in the house you were not coming in. There was a series of break-ins in our neighborhood once and our house was never bothered. :)

I miss him to this day.

15. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

Let's see My Chows names were Ling, Abe, Nadia, and Maxx...but we've also had a Bouvier named Torah, a mutt named Pal, and a mixed Collie named Reina

16. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Mojo and Sienna ( two aussies)

Kalu( a sheltie) though when you call her around other people they think I am saying hello.

Jill

17. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Do a google seacrh for baby names. There are a lot of neat names out there.

When naming our last great dane I found the name ZADA on a baby name list. It means "lucky one".

The other 2 dogs are named Lexy [great dane] was already named when we got her form rescue.

And Syd [Wolf/Shepard/Chow cross] DH named him.

18. designer

designer Well-Known Member

we have greyhounds named Mimi and Fox. A lab named Sheena, mut named Jack, chi named Buddy. My chickens are named after LOTR characters, my son picked those.
    I like the name from the movie "coming to America" with Eddy Murphy. The queen "Alien". Pronouced A-lee-on. You could change the pronoucation when the dog acted up. Hehe. I also love the name Chiarra, heard it in the Ms Italy pagaent. I need more dogs to name.

19. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

I had 2 chow mixes (females) named Dixie (or Dixie girl) and Shadow. Our current dog (lab/rotti mix) is Bubba. FIL has a Great Dane named Pluto (original right? lol) A friend has a Copper and Chopper.

Carla

20. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

It can easily take us a month to name a new pet. I remember, after having our border collie pup for around a month, I picked her up, looked her in the face and said: "Allie". Went right in the house and told mom that that was what we were naming her. It fits her perfectly. She is 3 now.

It took us around 3 weeks to name the latest addition, Chester (bad) the cat. He was sort of named after the Chester on Gunsmoke. Chester's (on Gunsmoke)last name was Good, so our cat's middle name is "Bad". :no: He fits it well.