Dogs and Poison Ivy?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Aug 10, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Do dogs get poison ivy or poison oak?
    What would cause a dog to scratch himself raw?
    (Its not fleas.)
    What kind of treatments do you suggest?

2. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I haven't heard of dogs getting it, I have heard that they can carry the oils from the plants and pass it on to people though.
    If your positive its not flea allergies then give him/her a bath in baby shampoo and after you rinse him, pour vinegar on them don't rinse it off. Vinegar is soothing to skin, I know it helps with sunburn, prickly heat, insect bites plus its a deodorizer. Its great for a variety of things.

Also, you can give a dog a benedryl allergy pill to help with the itching, my Vet told me that. But to only give the Benedryl "allergy" formula only not decongestant. 1 capsule if its a medium dog like a border collie. I buy the Equate version at walmart.

let us know....
    Chris

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Never heard of a dog getting poison ivy. Lots of things can make them scratch till they are raw. Are there any other symptoms besides scratching?

4. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Dogs don't get poison ivy. What is your dog eating? Scratching raw, the first things that come to mind for me are food allergies and hot spots!

5. tallpines

Hmm........You've given me some ideas.
    DD has given him 2 baths in the last few days cause he apparently found something really SMELLY to roll in out in the woods.
    Most of the scratching is on his nose but all over, also.

I'm wondering if she didn't get him rinsed well enough-----she used a dog shampoo but perhaps he is allergic to it.

So maybe another bath with lots of rinsing and then end it with a vinegar rinse?

Is there a preference over white or cider vinegar?

(I think she feeds him IAM's dog food.)

6. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Iwould go to the vet while i thought about it. Seems like a no brainer.

7. Dances In Woods

8. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Hot spots, allergies to fleas or some kind of doggie dermatitis come to mind. If it's hot spots or dermatitis especially, the pup needs to get to a vet.

Also, if you bathe dogs too much, they can get itchy. Just like people do during winter when they take hot baths.

9. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

some dogs develop allergies to corn in their food, it causes itching like you discribe.

10. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

I posted this once before, but it still applies.

We had this kind of misery with our ferrets, dogs, etc. It really is a problem in the food. Upgrade to Eukanuba or one of the better foods that are not made with diseased animals from the rendering plants. Avoid Walmart's food, Purina, etc. For details on this see Martin Goldstein's "The Nature of Animal Healing".

Also, the single best miracle supplement we have used is "Dream Coat" by Halo. The hair grew back within a couple of weeks. You can find it at most health food stores. I got it on-line at http://www.samsstore.com/dreamcoat.html

11. tallpines

OK---Vet appointment in on Fri-------in the meantime we've started him on Benedryl----------(dog groomer also recommended this)-----------re-washed all the bedding with the old brand of detergent and gave him a vinegar rinse.

Still scratching but hoping improvement will begin to show up real soon.

12. Dances In Woods

Tallpines...
    On the Benedryl give the Pink/white capsule...just in case I didn't say before. I've slept since then...LOL :eek:

13. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Glad you are going to see the Doc. Just like with us, "skin" problems are some of the most complicated and difficult syndromes to deal with. What shows on the skin is only what you can see. The causes are inside the dogs body and sometimes the brain(nervousness, anxieties etc). Depending ont he age of the dog Thyroid inbalances can cause really bad skin symptoms too.

And the above tips re diet are real important. You are not going to solve anything other than temporary relief by any rinses or shampoos. Gotta get to the cause. Dogs these days are getting more and more allergic to grains. And to some common meats also. When you research the companies that make the more commonly purchased foods it's no wonder our dogs have trouble!

Put "dog diet+allergies" into GOOGLE and start reading. Sometimes our well meaning Docs throw their arsenals at the problem but don't study up on diet. Instead they do their best but wind up going to steriods....It is up to you, the owner, to your homework and do your part for your dog.
    ;)
    Good luck..........LQ