dogs AND goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatgirl92, May 5, 2005.

1. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

we figured out that the almost 3 week old buck had little white eggs stuck to the hairs around his horns. we are guessing this means he has lice right??? if it is, could you use a lice treatment for dogs on him? thanks!

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I've used dog flea and tick shampoo on my goats for lice. It worked really well. Check the label for the active ingredients - permethrin or pyrethrin is what you want to kill the lice.

If you don't want to deal with giving the goat a bath (they really don't cooperate very well), you can get horse and stable spray or dusting powders at any feed store that work really well.

3. citygoatwoman

citygoatwoman Member

i used a cattle wormer called eprinex when my goats showed signs of biting lice. it's sort of spendy ($39) but you get a big bottle that contains much more than one treatment, should you discover lice again in the future. you just draw a bit up into a syringe and squirt down their spine, directions on the label. seems to have worked for us, and much easier than bathing a goat.
    erin

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

last year was the first year i did not bathe my goats with flea and tick shampoo for dogs, and also was the first year that i had a lice infestation. it works great and works for a whole month.