Dogs and ear infections...a little help?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jessimeredith, Apr 5, 2005.

1. jessimeredith

jessimeredith That's relativity. Supporter

My poor boxer keeps getting ear infections. Vet says wax buildup, wants to knock her out and scrape her ears. Second vet says no wax buildup. I'm at a loss.

We clean her ears once a week with vinegar and water and it seems to help a bit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Alcolhol & vinegar. 5 tablespoons regular Alcolhol (I can't spell today) to 1 tablespoon white vinegar. Squirt into ears and squish ears good to get dirt out, wipe out, keep doing till comes clean. You can use this daily to help keep the ears dry and clean, and then weekly. It works great.

3. Cindy in KY

Forgot to say, don't put any more water into her ears, that is what is making them wet & icky. Especially do the ear cleaner after baths, swimming, anytime the ears might get wet.

4. jessimeredith

5. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

If it is sore try Vit E capsule or baby oil with couple drops of iodine mixed in.. kills mites too.. but must be repeated ..

vinager can burn.. be careful.. peroxide might be better.. my cats don't mind that at all but vinager look out

KC~

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Things that are astringent work well, my favorite being witch hazel. I had a shepard mix who loved the water, but his ears got a stinky fungus from it. I used to make him lay on his side and put a capful of stuff in, swish it around in there, then let him up to shake it out. Then do the other ear. We had to do this daily when his ears were funky, but it helped him so much.

7. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Not sure how many vets use this stuff or whether you can get it anywhere else but...I have a St.Bernard that has ear problems and all the vets where I used to work couldn't get it under control. When I moved to NY and started working in the vets office here (all small towns so small vet practice with only one vet) he has something called McKillips powder. He mixes the powder with rubbing alcohol (makes it easier to put in ears and the alcohol dries quickly so the ears don't stay wet) you just shake it up real good to mix it, squirt it in the ear, clean what you can out(NEVER stick a q-tip in the cannal of the ear, you can very easily rupture the eardrum...there's is easier to get at than ours!) squirt again and repeat the next day. You can use it daily or whenever needed. It is awesome for the floppy eared dogs because moisture stays in there so easily so they have problems with their ears. I have seen dogs that have had to have surgery(mostly cockers) because of ear cannal problems.

Good luck and hope you can get things under control!

Tracy
    Southwestern NY

8. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

If your dog has repeated ear infections, it may be that he is allergic to the protein source in his dog food. If he is eating a chicken protein source, try lamb or the other way around. If he is using beef try either lamb or chicken. If that does not clear it up there are fish based dog foods you can use for a couple of months and then go back to something besides what you were using before.

I am really surprised that the vet did not bring this up. My trainers have lectured us on this and it is listed in the Dog Owner's Vet Guide as a common reason for repeated ear infections. And our vet has discussed it with us.

Clean the ears a couple times a week. I use just a dog ear cleaner available in any pet store.

9. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Keep it simple. See a farmer or a vet for a cc of cattle Ivermectin --- a couple drops in each ear = end of problem. Vets aren't allowed to tell you that because it is not labeled for dogs.

10. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

TSC carries this..and thanks for the tip! I have 2 labs that will get infections time from time.

kppop

11. Cindy in KY

A couple drops of Ivermec is good for treating ear mites, but if it's just water making the ears icky, then Ivermec won't dry them out like the alcohol & vinegar. The alcohol & vinegar will do ear mites too. I've used it for years and years, (started with Labs..in water all the time), and even use it on rabbits ears, works great for them.

12. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

We had a Scottie that had this same problem. It ended up being caused by too much hair growing in his ear, but I just went back and saw that you have a Boxer so I don't imagine that yours would have the same problems... darn, thought I had something useful to contribute! :)

good luck!

13. Gnawsey

Gnawsey Well-Known Member

My golden had constant ear problems. We found out, through my mom's vet, that most ear problems are from allergies. We found that she is allergic to beef. Taking all beef out of her diet, her ears are all clean now.

Stacie

14. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

TSC carries this..and thanks for the tip! I have 2 labs that will get infections time from time.

What is TSC ? Thanks Jeannie

15. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

Sorry..Tractor Supply Company :)

kppop

16. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I used straight vinegar in my spaniel mix's ears, daily when she had itchiness or discharge. I use 1:1 vinegar and alcohol in myself. Presumably for me at least for ear fungus/swimmer's ear not mites!

17. jessimeredith

We tried the whole allergy thing when we were still in Germany. No luck. It's some kind of yeast or staph, can't remember which, that keeps coming back. For the longest time she would chew on the pads of her feet until they bled because of it. Ended up having to put socks on her feet to keep her from eating them, lol...got the cutest pic.

She hasn't done that in ages though, just the ears. At least once every three months. She scratches so bad that she'll tear a chunk out of her ear. Looks like we've murdered someone in the house, what with her shaking her head and splattering blood everywhere!!

18. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I really like "Purple Power Ear Solution," which someone gave me the recipe for ages ago. None of my guys are PRONE to ear infections, but it's cleared up the occasional one around here and maybe you'll find it of some use:

"Purple Power Ear Solution"
    aka "purple power potion!!!"

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol
    4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
    16 drops Gentian Violet Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (You may need to pour out a small amount of alcohol so it will all fit.) Be sure and SHAKE WELL before each use to disperse the boric acid. It's easier to put in the dog's ears if you put some in a small squirt bottle.

Treatment: Flood ear with solution & massage gently for 60 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Flood a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. The Gentian Violet isn't supposed to stain, but be careful.

Schedule of treatment:
    2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
    1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
    1 time per month thereafter

All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Gentian Violet will be the hardest to find and may need to be special ordered.

Even despite the alcohol, dogs don't object to even the first treatment. The Boric Acid soothes the ear & the Gentian Violet is an anti-infection agent. (Where babies get their purple belly buttons from!!) The solution works well on any ear problem from mites to wax to canker. One vet reported a success rate of 95%-99% and felt those not successful had not been routine about it or had not done the treatment long enough. This solution is also effective for the treatment of fungus type infections on the feet & elsewhere on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people, and for hot spots.
    For EXTERNAL use only. Avoid getting in eyes.

(Copied and pasted from Woodhavenlabs.com, if anyone cares. :D)

Cait

19. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I had a wonderful boxer who had lots of food allergies. I couldn't feed her any lamb and rice mix foods. But she never had ear infections. Another dog that I had that had constant ear infections turned out to have a thyroid problem and when that was treated, the ear infections went away. I second the use of vitamin E oil in the ears. I hope your dog gets better.

20. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

I have 2 labs..one who has issues with wheat and corn and the other so far so good isn't showing signs of any problems. The first lab used to get horrible infections 2 -3 times a year and like a dork I was feeing him Pedigree thinking it's a top quality food..and the vet went right along with me..I thought they knew about dog food..I was wrong. It wasn't until a few yrs ago they brought a new girl in and she knew her stuff about dog food and food allergies...she suggested Diamond Lamb and rice without corn and wheat and it's been a life saver for us..this dog hasn't had an ear infection in 2 yrs!!! The only thing that has changed has been the food..we still clean his ears when needed but no infection. I'm happy as a pig in mud!

kppop