Doggies nose

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by herefordman, Jan 18, 2005.

1. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

I have a Large German Shephard/ Black lab mix thats about 8 years old, just noticed recently that his nose is getting crusty looking and splitting a bit.
    Looks almost like a shrivelled prune, I was waiting to see if it would just go away on its own, but its been about two weeks now and it doesn't look any different.
    Anyone have any idea what would cause this ?
    It isn't from scrounging on the ground as he doesn't do that, he's well fed and happy otherwise.

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Sometimes this can be a symptom of kidney problems or other conditions that may lead to dehydration. I'd look the dog over very closely...monitor urination and diet, take it's temperature and call the Doc just for some ideas.

Also, when all else is normal a change in the diet adding a bit more fat product can help. How is the skin in general?

Just some ideas to take into consideration.

LQ

3. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

His skin looks like normal, and we're drowning here in rain, and water access is definitely not a problem, but can't really say how much he's been drinking as I haven't watched him enough to see.
    Anyone know, whats a good body temperature for a dog ?
    Thanks

4. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

your dog is now a senior and that is common for there noses to become dry and crusty. but if you are conserned about dyhdration take the skin on the back of his neck and just tug it upward just a litte bit if it stays there for a min or two he is in need of some fuilds if it goes right back down then he is fine

I have a 22yr Chi ( I am not spelling it hopefully you all know what I am talking about if not its a toco bell dog lol)
    anywho his nose has never dryed up but I also work around dogs everyday and I see it alot in senior dogs and when I worked at the vet as a vet tech in tranning I never saw anyone come in for that or have it treated. but you can call your vet to see if there is something you can do about it.
    And the sink thing I learned while I was at the vet

Good luck

5. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

I would guess that it is the cold. Why don't you try a little hand cream. Just rub on his nose a little bit. See if that fixes the dryness.
    Alice in Virginia

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I would probably put a little aloe vera on the nose.

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

I'd try a sunblock, spf 15, and adding brewers yeast to his food. It might be an autoimmume condition that mainly affects Collies, Shepards and Shelties. Look up Collie nose and see if it is the same

8. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

Forgot. Temperature 100-102, average 101.3

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Bag balm works wonders. Try adding a table spoon of corn oil to his food.