Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miniature Schnauzer has allergies and won't stop licking her paws. Vet says not much can be done except for trying different OTC allergy medicine. We started with benadryl and then another they suggested but this year is really bad for some reason.

Vet has used steroid shot on her twice this year which immediately eliminates the problem, but of course it only lasts about 1.5 weeks or so. Doc doesn't want to give her any more steroid shots as there have been some significant problems with prolonged use, and he will only approve two rounds of shots.

There are no signs of fleas on her, and believe me, we can tell/see when she has fleas.

She is mostly an inside dog but goes outside for potty and is outside with us when we are working on the place.

Anybody else up against this allergy deal with their dog?

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Have you tried changing the food to something that is less likely to cause allergies? For instance Chicken and rice (make sure you read the labels to be sure they did not slip in corn gluten or wheat or soy), Lamb and rice (same thing) or fish and potatoe? Also take away all treats during this time (though you can use the dog food as a treat too) I would try one of them first for a month, if that does not work switch to the next on the list 30 days later and so on. Also think about what you use in your enviroment- carpet powder (switch to baking soda), chemicals- inside and out, etc.
Meanwhile, they have a collar that works similar to an e-collar- but is a wide band that goes around the neck to help prevent chewing and licking. You may want to try that until you find the cause of her allergies.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Wayne02 said:
Miniature Schnauzer has allergies and won't stop licking her paws. Vet says not much can be done except for trying different OTC allergy medicine. We started with benadryl and then another they suggested but this year is really bad for some reason.

Vet has used steroid shot on her twice this year which immediately eliminates the problem, but of course it only lasts about 1.5 weeks or so. Doc doesn't want to give her any more steroid shots as there have been some significant problems with prolonged use, and he will only approve two rounds of shots.

There are no signs of fleas on her, and believe me, we can tell/see when she has fleas.

She is mostly an inside dog but goes outside for potty and is outside with us when we are working on the place.

Anybody else up against this allergy deal with their dog?
Maybe ask the vet about going with oral steroids. There is much more control over how much they get when you go oral rather than injectable. Personally I have never given a steroid shot for allergies-I prescribe oral prednisone if the allergies are too bad to be tolerable with antihistamines. If the dog can't tolerate steroids then you can try other (more expensive) meds.

I'd definitely try diet changes too like Willow recommends.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Our dog was doing this, but it was totally unrelated to allergies. He had weed stickers (long slender kind) that stuck up into his fur on his paws and apparently they dig their way into their skin. He ended up with an infection and swollen, bleeding paws before we figured it out. If you have weeds and stickers where your doggies goes, might be worth taking a look. It's probably nothing to do with this, but I thought I'd mention it! I guess it happens to dogs in our area a lot. Good luck!

Tracey Mouse

·
Premium Member
15,784 Posts
I've been told that some dogs do this as a habit from boredom. If that's the case take the dog out for a romp every day. Burn off some energy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
We had a dog that was alergic to grass, and was all the time licking her paws. We would soak her paws in solution of clorox and water (I think it was about 8 parts water to 1 part clorox). This really helped a lot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can't help you with the genesis for your pooch's troubles, but were it me I would seriously consider a RAW diet and I would apply Tea Tree oil to the paws. I have a ***** that does it when she comes in heat, no other time, but that seems to stress her and bring on the foot licking. TTO works wonderfully and is anti-bacterial and anti-viral and a lot of other good antis, too!
I really would read up on raw feeding, it has been the answer for many people with their pets.....you can buy it prepared even, so no mess, and it might be affordable with only one dog. If not, think about Canidea (sp?) I have heard a great many glowing reccommendations for it, too!
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts