Dog with suspected mastitis

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Debbie in IL, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Debbie in IL

Debbie in IL Active Member

We have and English Mastiff who had 2 puppies 6 days ago. The first pup was breech and was dead when I finally had to go in to get him. The second pup had FPS symptoms and we lost him last night. He was healthy and vigorous until yesterday afternoon. Tonight our dog has one teat which is extemely swollen and hot. What can I do to help her other than hot compresses, etc? I do have penicillin. Can she have that, and if so what dose? She weighs approximately 160 lbs. and the penicillin is 300,000 units per ml, pencicillin G procain. (Agri-Cillin) Thanks!

Debbie

2. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

Most of the bacteria responsible for mastitis/metritis are not susceptible to pennicillin. These infections can be serious. Please take your dog to your vet.

3. Debbie in IL

Mary,

Thanks so much for the reply. We took the dog to the vet, and as suspected she has mastitis. She is now on 1 and 1/2 375 mg Clavamox twice a day and we are applying hot compresses and expressing her every few hours. Hopefully this will do the trick. I knew someone on this board would have the answer.

Debbie

4. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

From what I've heard from friends that had it, mastitis is pretty painful. Hopefully she'll start feeling better soon!

5. Debbie in IL

Thanks - yeah, I imagine it is pretty painful, but she already seems to be improving. I started the hot compresses last night along with expressing - pretty nasty stuff coming out, but now very little of the nasty stuff and mostly just milk. The swelling has gone down considerably though there are still lumps and hot spots. Good thing she is such a sweetie and allows us to do this to her. I think she knows we are trying to help her even when we cause her pain. My vet finally understands that we will do as much as we can ourselves, and that we usually have a pretty good idea of what we are doing and why. Just wish I had more knowledge re meds for dogs. The antibiotics alone were $88! Not something we can really afford right now, but what can you do?