Dog with cut pad, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

My dog Barney got out today when people were here to see the house. When he came home, he had black soot on him and I knew he had gotten into a neighbors burn pile. Well, then I saw that he was limping pretty badly. I checked his foot and it's not bleeding, but there is a pretty good gash about 1/2" long. I think it was cut on glass maybe, it's a clean cut.

He can walk on it but he's limping. He's not crying so I don't think it's too bad.

Should I put peroxide on it? Wash it? wrap it?
    :help:

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I'd wash it with some anti-bac soft soap and check real close for any slivers of glass. I wouldn't use peroxide on cuts that aren't fresh because by now whatever germs got in are past the point of boiling them out. ;)

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Clean it out as best you can with soap and water. You can pour a little peroxide on it if it is still raw, but only once. You can wrap a bandage around the paw, but it will fall off. A bandage will allow it to stay clean until it can close a litte. I'm sure by morning It will be healed enough that dirt can't get in, but check it just in case. Even if you have to bandage it a couple of more times it won't hurt to err on the side of caution. Try to keep him quiet, just let him outside for potty breaks. Activity will likely keep opening the wound. I would put ti tree essential oil or lavender e.o. on the pad. A little vitamin C (in his food, not on his foot) will help also.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd inspect closely to make sure nothing is blocking the wound from bleeding freely. Then, as others have said, get it cleaned out. Good old soap and water will work just fine. I'd smoosh a little antibiotic ointment on it as a precaution. Put an old, clean sweat sock on his paw and up his leg; duct tape it in place.

Watch for swelling/heat at or around the wound site.

Feel better, Barney!

Pony!

5. Sparticle

Wow!!! thanks everyone. I'm off to Dr. him up. I hope there's nothing in there

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

All the info about cleaning it seems to me to be right on. I would leave it open to the air though, not bandaged up. It needs to breath freely and the dog will keep it clean by licking. Letting them lick a wound is one of the best things for it.

7. Sparticle

I had a sock on there with duct tape but it slid down because I was afriad to put it too tight. He's sleeping right now and I'm just going to keep him in the house. I'll put the sock w/ tape back on when we go out for potty breaks.

goodnight, off to shell more pecans. :hobbyhors

8. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

A antibiotic spray for livestock works wonders for all animals on cuts. I'd leave it uncovered, but just make sure you put bag balm on it a few times a day.

9. Sparticle

Hey I do have antiseptic spray, forgot till just now. I also have bag balm.

10. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

If you have any vet wrap it will keep a bandage on. You have to go a couple of turns up the leg.

11. MissPiggy5

MissPiggy5 Member

Our dog was kicked while chasing the horses. It split the pad of her paw and totally messed up the nail, I clipped the nail and it started to bleed profusely. We cleaned it as best as we could and sprayed it with vet spray. I'm not sure what it is called, but it's blue and my husband uses it on the horses when they have an injury. We continued to check on her and she continued to lick off anything we put on. Within a day or two she was fine and she continues to chase the horses.

12. Sparticle

yeah, my silly dogs never learn either. He seems do be doing OK this morning. still limping around, but voluntarily went out to potty this morning. I doctored it up per everyone's advice here last night.

Thanks for being there for me! :baby04:

13. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I use thick baby socks on my dog's foot injuries. They stay on pretty good, are easy to clean.

Mon