Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Californian rabbits that I breed for meat. Until recently I had 5 does and a buck. When I purchased a minifarm and moved, the dogs around my home, came through the 4 strand electric fence, tore open my hutch and killed 2 of my does. The electric fence is for my goats, but I put all of my animals behind it for protection until I can afford to fence the property in completely (for some reason, they took the fence down before they sold the property).

I set a trap, without success at first, but caught a mother Pit Bull mix and 2 puppies by hand and carried them to the shelter. I finally caught one big dog in the trap (one I have seen multiple times in my yard) I was trying to pull the trap to a hiding place until animal control would come, but the owner came through the back of my property looking for it. I told her that this dog and its buddy had killed 2 of my rabbits and all of my chickens. She asked me to release the dog, that she would keep it chained. I released the dog to her and haven't seen it since. However, I keep seeing other dogs.

At the time, the only weapon I have is a BB gun, and it's not doing the job. Animal control told me to kill the dogs if I have to to protect my animals, which I hate to do, but I guess, I'll be getting a rifle if the dogs keep coming around. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Suggestions:

invest in better fencing...

get a shock wire (set about 8 inches off the ground) Dog hits that....says OUCH! where did that come from! and tends to learn an important lesson. (learned that from a friends' dad)

get a protective dog that will warn strays off

Get a llama! or a donkey.

Lights and motion sensors with high spray water

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I don't think I would have released her dog until she paid compensation for my rabbits and chickens. I'd also have been very bothered if someone came through the back of my property like that. I know matters of etiquette and behaviour are regional, but around here people have the courtesy to enter one's property by the driveway. Nor, in general, do they let their dogs run.

Seems to me she knew exactly where she would find her dog... I think you'd better buy that rifle because I would be very surprised if she continues to chain the dog for long.

I've heard of people using paint ball guns on trespassing dogs. It hurts but does not kill and it sends a clear message to the owner that their dog has been misbehaving. I don't know how effective it is, long term, but it is one way of sending a warning if you don't want to kill the dogs outright.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently have a 4 strand electric fence. The bottom strand is 6 inches off the ground, the next is 6 inches above that. It didn't stop the dogs. I probably shouldn't have released the dog, but I unfortunately caught him on the weekend and he would have stayed in the trap for 2 days. Also, I have been warned not to upset that particular set of neighbors (after I bought the house). So, I'm a little afraid of repurcussions. I am a widow, living alone with my two young sons, so I can't take chances.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about using pepper spray if you can get close enoug to the dog to spray it without danger of getting bit.

I have also haule strays to the Humane Society and when the owners have to pay a fine to get their dogs back they decided a chain wasnt so bad.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention, I did just bring home a pair of Border Collies, but that was after the trapping, so I'm not sure if they have had any effect.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I currently have a 4 strand electric fence. The bottom strand is 6 inches off the ground, the next is 6 inches above that. It didn't stop the dogs. I probably shouldn't have released the dog, but I unfortunately caught him on the weekend and he would have stayed in the trap for 2 days. Also, I have been warned not to upset that particular set of neighbors (after I bought the house). So, I'm a little afraid of repurcussions. I am a widow, living alone with my two young sons, so I can't take chances.
All the more reason to get that rifle - as long as you know how to use one safely. It's horrible feeling vulnerable, especially where your children are involved. But I understand better why you released the dog, under those circumstances.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts