Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Grind up liver, add cornmeal to make it more firm and some garlic for flavor (too much garlic can be toxic to dogs, but a tsp of dried garlic in a whole recipe should be fine. Fill a cookie sheet (parchment paper first to keep it clean) and bake it until firm. Cut it into strips about 1" wide and then 3-4" long. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact recipe, its been years, but that was our favorite dog show treat. It's texture should be slightly rubbery, easy to break into small pieces, somewhat dry and it keeps very well under refrigeration for several days. Otherwise freeze it. It tasted so good I'd eat it for snacks on the dog show circuits.

I like the idea of dehydrated liver, I might make some myself!

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Reactions: Jaime918

·
Registered
286 Posts
Doggy Biscuits
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. cornmeal
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
1 c. chicken broth (currently using turkey broth!) lol

Occasionally I add a little peanut butter to the mix.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a cookie sheet. Mix in a large bowl to form a soft dough that is not too sticky - add more flour if needed. Drop by teaspoon-full, flatten slightly. Bake for 20-25 min. until nicely browned and firm. Cool completely.

I make a double batch, and store in the freezer. I put a couple in my pocket when I head out to feed the rest of the critters.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
My recipe is real easy.. .

I just cut off the bottom half of one of the front legs of my deer and gave it to my dog.. That was earlier today.. I have no idea what she did with it.. I had seen her gnawing on it.. but now it's gone.. She is tied up, so it couldn't have gone far... Maybe she ate it, hoofs and all? Guess I'll have to toss her another if it doesn't re-appear in the next day or two..

That what mine gets for a treat... meat and bones.. The last couple times we butchered she got trimmings and bones...

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
My recipe is real easy.. .

I just cut off the bottom half of one of the front legs of my deer and gave it to my dog.. ..
Now that's easy! I have the meat locker save the leg bones when I have a steer done and give those to the dogs. Last time I purchased a few extra for very reasonable. Once they gnaw most of the raw meat off, I slow cook the main bone on the grill for a long time to get them good and cooked, the dogs love them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love all the great ideas. Haven't been able to try any yet. Finally reaching the end of being sick so hopefully I can try some of these this week.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I give mine dried liver, but I do it in the oven since I don't have a dehydrator I cannot give her recreational bones, she chews them so hard she chips her teeth, which is a shame as the pug loves them (and doesn't have enough strength to do any harm) Cheese also goes down well, as does anyform of leftover meat.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Oh yes, I've had many dogs that loved cheese and tiny bits of hot dog. If you are using them for training tiny bits will do. In fact, for any sort of treat, tiny bits work fine. If its just for fun, then the leg ones of livestock sounds like a great idea.

T

·
0 Posts
For training, I buy a small bag of El Cheapo cat food, and use a fistful per training session while treats are needed. One kitty kibble is a tiny, stinky little treat that works wonders!

The dogs can smell it through my fist, and everyone is in RAPT ATTENTION during the session! LOL!

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
My dogs love dehydrated chicken and livers. I haven't tried the baked liver/meal but will....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts