Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading throught the dog itchy posts, and have not found our situation there.

We have a 3 year old golden and she started itching furiously about 2 weeks ago. We haven't changed her feed, she is indoors, never had allergies before.

What DID happen 2 weeks ao? Well....we wnt to the ACRES conference and she stayed with my mother for 4 days--probably ate cat and other dog food while there----came home to new flooring. We had hardwood bamboo put in while we were gone. Anything?
One more thing that she has had access to is kitty litter(used). We let our cats in for winter, and she likes to get "midnight snacks" out of it. Gross.

Seems like if it was ingesting foriegn food 2 weeks ago--it would be over....

Otherwise she is fine, not really any skin flakeyness.
Thanks.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
From your post it sounds like there was a feed change and now it's back to normal. But maybe there was a lot of the ingredient/s she is allergic to in the cat or dog food she was eating and that made it flare up...now there may be the same ingredient/s in her normal food and just not as much..but enough to keep her itching. Also, is there any chance she could have gotten fleas while your were gone? :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We haven't seen any fleas. She reacts bad to flea(redness and bleeding on her belly).

It just struck me that my mother's dog had really bad itching. He actually takes meds and has asthma. No known cause.

His feed is more expensive then ours(we get the cheapest)...the cat was science diet...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Probably an allergy to what was in the cat food (my guess is the corn as SD is corn based).

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
So would be the "cheapest" food, which is well known to have ingredient changes often depending on how cheap they can get the cheapest ingr. so it may be a change in the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dog used to get what they call hot spots. No flaky skin or anything just warm spots on his skin that made him itch and scratch. His vet told me to pick up some hydracortizone spray to put on his skin. Stoped the itch and it seemed to come on in winter and when things were a little stressfull like visiting around for the holidays. you could also try tea tree oil . Both these products can be found at walmart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.