dog still bleeding after puppies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bluecreekrog, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

My female rottwhiler had puppies 3 day's ago. It took her 8 hours to have 12 pup's(poor thing). And know 3 days later she is still dripping blood. Is this normal? Someone please help I am tired of cleaning up after her. Plus we are starting to get worried about her.

2. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

The stray I took in last spring had had puppies (never found her owner or the pups:( ) But she bled for about 3 weeks. I think the dog warden told me they can bleed for as long as a month. So I wouldn't worry too much if it's only been three days.

Enjoy your new puppies!

P.L.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Just how much bleeding? Could be a retained afterbirth too, what's her temperature?

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

one of my cats bled for 3 days and then had 2 more kittens....
    she may have one stuck in there dead.

5. Night Owl

Night Owl Active Member

I have been a dog breeder for 10 years. It is quite normal for a dog to have bloody discharge after delivery. Just as it is normal for a woman. As she feels better, she may begin to keep herself clean, as she would when she is in season. The color should be kind of dark red.
    Signs that you may need to worry about:
    bright red blood
    greenish black discharge
    fever or indications that she doesn't feel well.
    She may have trouble eating but that doesn't necessarily mean she is sick. It may be necessary to offer her extra goodies to make sure she eats enough for herself and all the little ones.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Tina

6. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

When my GSP had pups, we took her to the vet (within 24hrs of delivery) and the vet has a shot that forces the system to clean itself out. We had no discharge from her after the first day.

7. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider 8 hours a normal labor, even with that many puppies. I think a vet visit is in order.

8. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

The "SHOT" spoken of is Oxytocin and causes (painful) contractions of the uterus; usually given to 'expell' any remaining placental or fetal remains OR to induce labor. The same contractions of the uterus is made by the nursing and suckling of the puppies.

I also don't think 8 hours for a large dog with (was it?) TWELVE puppies is completely out of order. General rule of thumb.. more than an hour between puppies.. get worried, call vet! So, you had 4 hours left to spare! :)

I would watch that she is eating (yes, give goodies i.e. canned, etc.) nursing, cleaning pups, drinking plenty of water -to make more milk-, and going to the bathroom regularly.

If she appears normal but just a little sluggish for a couple of days, that is to be expected as well as some 'spotting'. And the bigger the dog....?? :(
    Childbirth is an overwhelming, but natural process. The dog will probably be fine. You might also ask your vet for some vitamins to suppliment.

9. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who answered: She is doing much better, I was just a little nervous, my first time as well as hers. A vet visit is schedualed, time for heartworm test anyway.