Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lol wth?

we have a 3 year old shep/ridgeback mix, male neutered only dog. He's awesome. However, the last two days, he's starting to howl like a hound dog..literally. He's NEVER done this, we took him to the vet thinking maybe something was hurting his ears, but they did exam, and took cultures and all came back clean. vet just laughed it off, but I'm seriously wondering wth he's thinking when he's doing this.

We've heard coyotes the last couple nights, and thought he was imitating them...is it possible for dogs to mimick like that?

Please don't laugh...I'm seriously perplexed at this!

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Dogs will howl at sirens-they will hear them before you do. Thier ears pick up a wider spectrum of sounds than ours do. For instance a silent dog whistle. Some dogs will howl when they are lonely as well. It is not dependant on breed- though there are breeds known for howling. He may know of a dog within his ear shot that he is communicating with as well. And yes, they may howl back at coyotes. I would not worry. Just his way of communicating :)

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I have one who will howl once in a blue moon. And he's not even excited or anything when he does it -- usually I look outside and he's calmly laying down in the front yard while howling. I have no idea why he does it.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Bella has never howled for any reason. I find that in it's self disturbing. She doesn't howl at the tornado sirens which are right behind the house.

The big dogs howled at all the emergency sirens and I could get the chow mix to howl with me on occasion.

Maybe keep track of when he howls and listen outside to see if you can hear anything?

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
Mine howls, my grandpa makes her 'sing'. She can also imitate Elvis by curling her lip. Who knows what is going through their minds? Tonight mine got all het up and the only thing the spouse could think was the washing machine spooked her. Last night she starting bathing in the middle of the night then she panted (and it was not hot here at all). Goofy critters.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Dogs can and will howl to warn coyotes to basically stay away there is already a pack here.

Mine do it all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts