Dog sheds at wrong time of year

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Nov 19, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I have a husky mix, malamute(mom) and samoyed X siberian. She got very ill in her early life, which lead to an emergency hysterectomy. I got this dog because she 'leaks', not a good house pet. Anyway, after this surgury, she lost most of her coat, and since this surgury she has shed at the wrong time of year. Four years now and her system is still off. What gives?? Now I have a house pet that leaks and should be outside but she's as delicate as a chiuaua(sp) in my northeren climate and would certainly die if I left her outside....like a normal husky.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

3. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

It could be a thyroid issue, but I would suspect not. The only way to know for sure would be to take her to a vet. Ovarian-hysterectomy is the most common surgical procedure done on dogs and I could almost promise that's not the cause of the ill-shedding.

I understand your concern, but dogs have to get rid of thier old hairs before new ones can take their place. It may seem as though she is blowing her coat now, but it may just be that the new undercoat is pushing the dead fur out. If she has shown no signs of frostbite or hypothermia in the past due to this I don't think I would worry. Just give her a shelter to get out of the cold.

You could try supplementing her diet with Omega Fatty Acids, like what is found in fish oils and cold water fish. And grooming her a couple times a week(just brushing her over with a brush)may help as well. Sounds crazy, but it works.

As far as the incontinence(leaking) goes, there is a supplement that you may be able to get OTC, called Chloidin. It's a chewable tablet that's supposed to help with bladder control and I always heard good things about it's results from our clients. I am sure there are also other OTC holistic remedies that may help as well, ya just gotta try em.

Happy Holidays!

4. jackie c

Those are so neat! I may just have to try something like that. I still am wondering though how to get her to 'wear' the right coats for the seasons. She just melted all summer with her winter coat, now she's boasting her skimpy summer wear! :no:

5. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

second_noah, I put Chloidin in a search engine and nothing came up. Is that the correct spelling? Where would I be able to get it? I have never heard of it but have a Lab that could really use it. Thanks, Rita in TN

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Many spayed females leak, especially when they get older. The vet can give them a hormone pill to prevent it.

7. jackie c

Thank you all for the respones. I've been dealing with her incontinence problem for years now, the previous vet I used said nothing could be done for her, other than to put her down. :confused: I will start giving her chloidin if I can find it.
    She leaked form birth, and I suspect it had something to do with the closed cervix syndrom( what I call it) that caused her life threatiening illness. It cost over $1500 to bring her back from the brink, but it was a small price to pay for she is the absolute best dog I've had the privilage to be owned by. Not like a true husky, she is quiet, and reserved, and very well behaved.
    As for her coat, well I guess I'll have to make her a sort of jacket, maybe fleece for when she'd out side. :rolleyes: Bet she'll love that, not!

Thanks again :D

8. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Here is the link to the manufacturer of Choldin. I apologize for my earlier typo resulting in a misspelling of the product.

http://www.mvplabs.com/dietary.products.php

It works off the principle that by adding additional choline to the diet the body will be better able to produce acetylcholine, a brain chemical(neurotransmitter IF I remember correctly)that is nessesary to carry certain chemicals throughout the synapses in the brain. In humans a lack of this can cause/attribute to Alzheimers and Parkinsons. In dogs a lack of it leads to gereatric issues as well.

It may even help with your dogs wacked out shedding issues, jackie! :)

You can get it OTC, though it may run a bit pricey. I don't remember it being all that expensive, but I haven't done any tech work in two years, so it probably has gone up.
    Here's a netscape/google search I did(if it will show up right):

http://search.netscape.com/ns/search?query=Cholodin&x=16&y=9&st=webresults&fromPage=NSCPResults

I am sure you can shop around and find some good deals!
    And like I said, this was definately worth it for some of our clients. I never really heard one complaint, and were we always ordering so it was used quite frequently.

-Christina, second_noah

9. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I'd just like to interject another couple cents if I may...hormone pills, like premarin and what not that women take, are the general if not exact type of hormone that the doc would give to your dog and I haven't seen much success with that. It may curb it for awhile, but eventually the incontinence returns...I don't know though, perhaps they have come up with something better...

Maybe you could have her bladder tacked? :) Just a thought....hehe

10. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Dogs of the breeds your's is generally shed year round. Either the longer haired outer coat or the "furry" white undercoat. It's the nature of the breed. My Husky/shephard/ wolf cross never stop shedding but it's really bad in about June - I can pull hands full out for hours!! You don't say how old your dog is - my 17 year old cat is on estrogen lately and it sure has made a difference in her coat and her urinary problems.

11. Cavegirl

Cavegirl Member

Actually, double-coated dogs are supposed to shed twice/year.
    So, it really isn't unusual at all.

But, definitely check with the vet to make sure there are no other issues causing it.

-Jen.

12. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I was just going to add that shedding now (or last month more so) is normal, or at least if it's not we've been boarding about 20 "sick" arctic breeds that shed at the wrong time of the year! Heck my BC just dropped her undercoat last month, you can't keep her out of the cold for long!

13. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

A sign of too much overtime and lack of sleep due to kid with the flu: My reaction to the subject title was: If the dog does not like the shed at certain times of the year, he doesn't have to go into the shed if he doesn't want to. He can sleep under the porch instead!

14. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

i clean people's houses for a living and most people's dogs are shedding right now. i think it's the old summer coat being shed to make way for the winter coat.

15. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

Our Sibes blow their coats anytime from April to now. Most do it in the spring, gobs and gobs of hair blowing around the dogs look awful. They look so bad I hate to have anyone visit our kennel. Right now Diana is blowing her coat, Lunar is just ending his shed and the rest had done theirs by the end of July. I sure can't tell you why they do it at odd times, a couple of ours blow twice a year, most just once. All of our dogs get the Omega 3's in their daily food.

I kick myself every year when all that hair is floating around since it would make the greatest hats for us. With 15 huskies now, more to come, I still can't seem to get the hang of taking a bag out with me and grabbing all that hair. Maybe next year? :)

LisaBug

16. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to have a double-coated lab cross, and while I loved him dearly, he would blow coat 3 or 4 times a year, it seemed.

At one time, I wondered if he didn't get confused. The seasons change rapidly when you're an indoor dog: just walk through that door, it's winter. Come back inside, it's summer...

17. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Dogs aren't the only ones! :no: