Dog Scratches on the front door

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OldYellersGhost, Apr 7, 2005.

1. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Besides not owning a dog, is there a solution for this?

2. Peepsqueak

Peepsqueak Well-Known Member

Yes, my dogs do this all the time wanting to get in. They bang up the patio door which is glass.... :no: :no:
    What I was instructed to do from my dog trainer is to ignore the dog and only respond and let him in if he stops. If you yell, or fuss, or chastise him he is getting the attention he wants....they do not distinguish scolding really...it is attention they want. So just ignore him. Then go to the door and tell him to sit and stay.....if he stays a minute (can start with 30 seconds) open the door and praise him with what he wants...ie let him in, or a treat.

This takes time. My dogs still do it, but they are ignored and they stop. If you answer one time, you have to go back to square one.

If there is a danger like breaking something, put chicken wire up against the door and they hate the feel of that on their paws. Metal may help too...like a piece of metal against the door. Anything that irritates their paws (nothing that will hurt them).

He may also be experiencing separation anxiety. You can get him a kong toy and stuff it with treats. It can keep a dog busy for hours. Try www.kong.com or go to Petsmart or Petco for them. They are rubber toys you can stuff and it takes awhile for the dogs to chew and get the treats out. It is hard rubber safe for them to chew and they last a long time.

3. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Yeah, you didnt say if it wants OUT and away from your cooking or wants IN to enjoy your company.

It does make a difference. Re the Kong toy, they are great. Once you stuff them with creamed cheese or Peanut Butter, whatever. then freeze it. Then give it to the dog.

I would ask if this dog is getting lots of attention, exercise and mental work. Teaching of tricks, obedience, walking, running etc. And if it not an anxious dog. The approaches are different.

If the answer is yes to the exercize etc and the dog is not high strung or suffereing from separation anxiety then I see nothing wrong with correctiing that behavior. Most dogs are not that dumb. Some are, I admit. Use a firm voice and a NO! Some need a sharp open hand on the nose. Depends on the dog. I know for a fact that a dog well knows the difference between a correction and a happy greeting!

It's important though as to the "why".

LQ

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

About three months ago, I taught my puppy to "speak." Then before I let her in or out, I'd get her to speak. As soon as she did, I'd praise her and give her what she wanted (in or out). Now when she wants to go outside, she comes and finds me and woofs once. If she's out and wants to come in, she woofs at the door every couple of minutes. She's seven months old.

5. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Assuming you HAVE a dog, place a bell by the door and train the dog to hit the bell when it wants out or in. The sound will drive you nuts, but the dog won't scratch the door.

You could put double-sided tape on the door...they don't like sticky paws...but then you'll have to clean the tape off the door, too.

Mon

6. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Sticky paws are bad.
    Being accused of being sticky is even worst!!!