Dog rolling in deer/turkey pooh

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lovecows, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Lovecows

Lovecows New Member

We have a Shepard/Lab mix. She has free roam of our farm and now that the weather is warmer, she has been rolling in deer/turkey pooh almost daily. She was covered from head to toe yesterday. Does anyone have any ideas of how to break her of this?

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    The man that figures out how to stop dogs from rolling in nasty stuff in the woods will instantly be named Ruler of the Universe for Life. Short of shooting her or tying her up, you arent likely to break her of this natural habit. To doggies that nasty smell is Chanel 5 and a bubble bath all rolled into one. :p

3. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Ask OYG-he talks enough about dogs...

4. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I probably telling you something you already know but if you understand the underlying reason that a dog rolls in smelly stuff the behaviour may be easier to tolerate..

Dogs are hunters but prey run from the smell of dog, if dog smells like a pile of poo then the prey is fooled and doesn't run. ( unlike humans who would only run faster if being attacked by a giant hairy pile of fecal matter with 4 feet. )

Even a non hunting dog is hard wired with this instinctual behavior

5. mink

mink Well-Known Member

apparently you need more hunters around there....lol

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours like to roll in stuff that has been dead awhile. Oy vey!

Or eat stuff that has been field dressed. Then he comes in and barfs.

And, no, there is no way to stop them other than tying them up.

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Our dogs don't roll in it they just eat it gag!!!!! Don't talk too loud about this they may start rolling in it too EEWWW!!!

8. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Call me sick, but I really don't mind so much when they wallow in animal pooh. What gets me is when they wallow in people pooh. Yes, you read correctly. We have migrant workers that help on the farm during the summer, and while we provide them with a perfectly decent house with a perfectly decent toilet, they seem to prefer to answer nature's call outside with, well, nature. I can't figure out if it's a cultural thing or a matter of more privacy, but *it* happens.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My vet told me if I could learn how to stop dogs from rolling in, and eating, poop I would be the richest woman on earth. My pups favorite trick is to eat horse poop and then throw it up on the den rug.

If you have dogs it's just something you have to live with I think.

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

First thing my dog would do after I gave him a bath was run out and find something dead to roll around in. I bought expensive dog shampoo and skin/coat products from the vet once. I remember spending a bundle. My parents told me that it was useless but I didn't wanna listen (common occurrence). First thing my lab did after I scrubbed him and had him looking like a show dog was to run off and find a dead deer to roll around in. Out of stubbornness I tried a couple more times with the same result. Tying him up didn't do much as he would roll around in the dirt. I pretty much gave up on bathing him except when he was particularly foul. His baths after that usually consisted of a swim in the nearest body of water and I'd call it done. A good brushing once in a while when he was shedding and the occasional bath in the creek was about all he got unless there were special circumstances. skunk, company coming etc.

11. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

My dog strolls down to the neighbor's place and rolls in their horse and cow poo.

Fortunately the chickens will be penned up, otherwise he'd probably roll in chicken poo too. I'm just surprised he doesn't roll in his OWN poo.

:no: