dog revenge or digestive upset?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by comfortablynumb, Jan 10, 2005.

1. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

keep in mind, I live alone in the house with said dogs. :haha:

lately the dogs, both of them have been farting up a storm. they are eating the ssame food they have eated for about a year with no farting.

now lately I have started to add more veggies and less bread (ok no bread i'm to lazy to bake it anymore) and a good deal of nice gassy stuff like beans n rice, fried cabbage n onions beef hash with some various bean of the day tossed in. now for about a month, due to the lack of company i have been loudly and freely farting at will. I dont feed the dogs any beans or scraps to make em gassy.
    my digestion has adjusted and I'm down to about 4 cubic feet of gass output a day, but the DOGS have started... All the time, day and night disgusting rotten eggy farts.
    no change in the food for them so I rule out food.
    they are restricted a bit the yards are muddy and they dont get out much but we play inside a lot.
    I thought I could wait them out but the little one has take to STARING at me and then honking one out, as if to say "I gotcha farts right here buddy".
    needless to say the bigger dog you just hear a hiss and you better stop breathing.
    the little one thinks he is cute he squirms under the blanket at night and start ripping them and I wake up gasping.

I will wait for you to stop laughing at my pain.....
    done? ok... whats the remedy to stifle dog farts of unknown origin? If it was one I could say well she dont feel good. its both, so i think they are just liking it to much.
    especially the little one he waits for opertune moments to do it then sits there and watches you gasp and turn green.

I watch em they aint eating anything outside that I notice.
    they dont normally have gas at all.

suggestions please before I get 2 corks and some super glue.

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

You know what's said about pay back........

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Last time my greyhound Simon got real gassy, I started paying attention to what he was doing outside. What was that? You guessed it--eating his own crapola. I used a sprinkle-on product from Drs. Foster and Smith and bam--no more farts.

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

OHmy.. oh my oh my...

I think it was the pause in the post which anticipated the laughter which really unhindged me.

Oh my oh my oh my...

I am SO sorry, but I completely identify with your woe. And I agree with fin... make sure your dogs aren't scarfing up other waste outside.

5. Immaculate Sublimity

Immaculate Sublimity Seriously?

Charcoal biscuits...the black dog biscuits that you can find at any pet store.

Diana

6. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Rotten egg smell is usually caused by eating eggs or other high sulfur foods-can they get to any eggs-domestic or wild?

Did you check the ingredients label on their food-could the recipe have changed?

I'm sorry; I understand your situation but darn that post started my morning with a big giggle! :haha:

Do you have a compost pile anywhere within their range, could they be getting into it for 'leftovers??

Good Luck, and just think in a few months you can open the windows!! :D

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I so know your pain!!! We have 3 large dogs and when one cuts loose oh man.....then of course we are all laughing EEEWWWW who farted??? And then we get to blame the kids!! We tell them there is NO WAY that came outta the dog it was you!!! Whew your sick lets go to the doctor!!What else can you do??? Dogs fart but man they are stinky!!! We even have a dog that she will cut one and leave the room but the stink stays LOL....she knows she is rotten!!

8. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I have two Akitas...one 95 pounds and the other 120. I feed them
    a decent dry food (Pro-Pet) only, plus one doggie buscuit a
    day....Period! I measure out their food so that they get enough but
    hopefully not too much although the 120 pound guy could lose a little
    weight. No people food...
    They are also either walked on a leash with me, or in their
    kennel (10X30) or in the house. Once in awhile before I see
    it they will scoop up a rabbit M&M, but don't have a chance
    to get into anything else.
    At 6.5 years, I can never remember them having gas. I assume it is because
    they keep a regular diet, don't have access to wild things, and don't have
    the typical parasites.
    Ann

9. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

yeah...umm humm....blaming it on the dogs huh? :p :D :haha:

10. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the laugh.

I don't know what you are feeding them, but perhaps it's time for a change. Kibble makers do change their formulaes. Iams and Eukanuba were changed when Proctor and Gamble (?) bought them.

As for your own diet, you do soak the beans twice before cooking, right? :waa:

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

eggs....
    the ducks living in the dogyard who hide eggs all over.
    I never see them scarfing any eggs but i wouldnt doubt they try when I turn my back.
    I deported the ducks to another more suitable yard with a pond and heavy wed and bushes to play in. they turned my dogyard into a muddy field.

I will do an egg sweep tomorrow and keep an eyeball on them and switch to another food to see if it helps.
    with the charcoal cookies.... good idea.

as far as turd eating i dont see them do that either, but I dont see them eating eggs.... I'll have to be super observant I seem to be going blind in one eye and my left nostril has begun to heal shut.

12. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was a kid we had a pit bull who when she tooted SHE would leave the room. :haha: Even she couldnt breath.

Mrs Whodunit

13. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

If it wasn't the eggs, it certainly could have been the duck poo causing it. My dogs love duck poo, and yes I have been driven out of the room by the double whammy attack they occasionally launch.

My dogs seem to be worse recently, but it might be simply that I am locked in here longer hours with them!

14. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

LMAO tears are everywhere! LOL My dog Rio half lab half whippet has this thing about letting one go, then blaming me......she does this by checking out her fanny and then staring at me like "ok now that wasn't funny"--and then rest of them lay under the dining room table all quiet, you know "silent but deadly" they wait until the funk reaches us sitting at the table, seeping up from under the table cloth and then when we look to see who is under there--they all bolt to the other room! Funky lil' things.....I would guess the eggs, hadn't heard of the biscuits at first I thought maybe that post was a joke cuz I got some bbq "biscuits"--but apparently they really make them for pups lol

15. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I would kill for a picture of this dog...I have a thing for sighthound crosses. She must be quite a sight!