dog question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bre, Mar 17, 2004.

1. bre

bre Active Member

Our dog split a nail today, the break was so far up that he was bleeding quite a bit. Because it's so far up I can't cut it off. I cleaned it up and tried to keep a bandage on it, but that lasted about ten minutes, lol. My question is, is there anything else I should be doing to make sure there's no infection? I called the vet and asked, but they tried to get me to bring him in so they could charge me for the info. Thanks in advance, Bre

2. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Bandaging it won't do much- you can try putting a sock over it and using bandage tape around the top, but doubt it'll stay on. If it's stopped bleeding, he should be fine- just keep an eye on it for the next few days and attempt to restrict his activity. If you see him limping at ALL, it is time to head to the vet- that'd be a prime way for an infection to get into his system.
    That's what I'd do, anyawy.

Cait

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I would use a syringe with no needle or a turkey baster to blast the wound with tepid water to remove any debris and then pack it with Neosporin ointment tonight. That should give it a good start.
    Starting tomorrow, leave it open to the air so it scabs and heals over. If the dog goes outside and it's warm and muddy, you might want to swish his paw in water when he gets back in.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Foot wounds on dogs tend to bleed profusely, even when relatively minor. As long as you've cleaned it well and keep it clean, he should be alright. :)

5. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Bandage it with a sock and then a full roll of duct tape, and it might last awhile, sometimes super glue will hold such things shut.

6. rider

rider Well-Known Member

Hopefully I can give you some info, I was a vet tech for 12 years, the sock and duct tape is a great bandage, you sould cut the nail back as far as possible to keep it from catching on things, the nail its self may fall off leaving the quick exposed, it will look like a little pink pointed finger for lack of better description, well I could describe it to the "t" but would prpbably get kicked off the boards, anyway then a new nail will grow back this takes several months sometimes for a new nail to come completely in,, If you have trouble keeping bandage on cut the bottom from a bucket and put over dogs head tie the bucket to his collare KFC chicken buckets work great for this, Also for future reference corn starch or flour work great to stop the bleeding corn starch better or blood stop powder from dehorning and castrating cattle also works too. Any antibotic ointment is good for a few days baut you want that to dry and harden so dont keep it too gooped up the torn nails rarely get infected, the biggest thing is the dog will sometimes drive you and himself crazy licking at the nail, again the bucket works cause he cant get his tongue to the toe good luck

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

If you have any grain alcohol or vodka, use a small bit to clean/pour over the wound. It stings like the dickens for a few seconds then all pain goes away. Don't let the dog lick it for about 30 seconds as the alcohol would make him sneeze.

I usually use myrrh infused 40% alcohol for these types of things, but the alcohol alone would help clean it. Then use that antibiotic cream as noted on a prior response. Rinse it tomorrow with peroxide or more alcohol. Keep it clean each day as it heals.

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Rider is correct. The easiest and quickest way for the dog to get over this is to cut the nail back to behind the split. It's painful..yes, but quick. Then as mentioned you will have to put hemo stop(or whatever the product)on to control the bleeding. Just before you cut the nail(with someone strong holding the dog and maybe a muzzle?), squeeze the toe right above the nail, this will act as a tourniquet until you can get the powder on. Warning...the powder REALLY hurts!! So be ready and you will have to hold a clump of it in contact with the nail until it clots. That's why the Vet's office told you to bring in the dog...it's not for the faint hearted! Usually they will at least sedate the dog to do this and that's my choice.
    And for goodness sakes don't torture the dog more by putting alcohol on it! That really hurts! :eek: Use peroxide...it works and doesn't hurt. The poor thing is going through enough already!!

If you leave the nail all split, it will take quite a while to heal, it will be sore, the dog will hit it on things etc etc. If it's clipped off then once the bleeding is stopped, it's all over, the pain and discomfort is gone.

Good luck...LQ