Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 cookies both I believe with mange. Constant itching biting scratching with many hairless patches and dander. Can't see vet til next week. Tried vinegar and borax with no effect. Will try lime and sulfur
Any insights/experiences welcome

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,267 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
There are two types of mange that will infect dogs. Demodectic mange is not contagious to be passed on to humans but Sarcoptic mange is highly contagious to humans. Treating it yourself really depends on which mange you are dealing with. A vet can tell you. Sarcoptic could pass to the humans and other dogs in your home. Using some of the harsh chemicals that you have listed could just irritate the skin and cause pain and possible infection to your dogs. You can find some good ways to treat and comfort your dogs such as the use of olive oil but mange is a really awful and difficult condition to cure but with the right meds the results are quite miraculous.

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
you want permethrin

most every farm store sells it also

in the label there is mixing instructions for dogs and cattle , mix up a batch and bathe your dogs

there is a label mixing direction for a kennel concentrate mix up a bathc of that and spray all around the kennel or areas that your dogs lay down outside

wash the dogs with it , then a week later then 2 weeks then 3 , when you get to a month just keep washing them every month with it

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
Treatments for mange, scabies, or other mites will often be based on permethrin.
Gordon's Permethrin 10, diluted 20:1 will give a .5% solution.

Wet the dogs with the .5% solution (dip or spray), give it several hours (or over night) to work, then give them a bath to wash it off.

eta: You might want to treat them again in about a week, in case any mites or eggs were missed.
no need to wash it off , you can't once it dries it bonds to the hair fibers and lasts several washings

you want it to dry , it keeps working dry

it is the same stuff you treat clothing with to keep ticks off and lasts 6 weeks or 6 washings

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
you can not use this on cats wet , for cats or if you prefer to use on dogs also there is a dry powder version you comb in

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol I meant collies not cookies! Ivermec is often advised but not for this breed.
I bathed with a pyrithrin shampoo yesterday. Since both dogs and myself are infected have to think it's sarcoptic.

·
Registered
Looking to retire in order to begin homesteading.
5 Posts
Lol I meant collies not cookies! Ivermec is often advised but not for this breed.
I bathed with a pyrithrin shampoo yesterday. Since both dogs and myself are infected have to think it's sarcoptic.
Wow! Sorry for your situation.
I got scabies twice from digging for fishing worms. I would’ve used anything to get rid of the damned things!
Please let us know what helped!!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sprayed Gordon's today. I'll keep you posted. One dog isn't nearly as bad as the older. It's a very frustrating battle.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,267 Posts
Will a flea and tick shampoo (depending on the active ingredients) be of any help?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both dogs slept the day and I was hopeful. When night came the younger one had a terrible reaction
She was running around whining and fussing all night. When morning came her tail was all red and bloody. I don't know whether the spray was at fault or it got the mites active?
This is so discouraging!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both dogs slept the day and I was hopeful. When night came the younger one had a terrible reaction
She was running around whining and fussing all night. When morning came her tail was all red and bloody. I don't know whether the spray was at fault or it got the mites active?
This is so discouraging!
Has anyone tried happy jack sarcoptic mange medicine? It's sulfur based and natural and says guaranteed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts