Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 2 year old shih tzu female that has always been thin. We had her checked at the vet, prior to breeding and the vet said that she was thin, but that she was within the normal range and that she was healthy..and a good breeding prospect.

Now she has had puppies and she is just so very thin. She is making plenty of milk, puppies are gaining well. Vet says to increase her calories. Anyone have any great suggestions?

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Increase her food to up to 3 times the normal amount when nursing- even more if a large litter (over 8) or since the ***** is underweight.

I would not breed her a second time until she is a good weight (you should be able to feel the ribs with some pressure, she should have a waist and the space between the pelvic bones above her tail should be flat, not hollowed out and not feel fatty). I know it is difficult to tell in a coated dog, but I have learned over the years to tell by feel not the scales. Some lighter boned dogs will need less weight than a heavier boned dog- and it can be hard to determine heavy/moderate or light bone without seeing the leg. I like my girls in good weight- not thin or fat.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Give her a raw egg and cottage cheese mixed in her kibble. Also, when the puppies start wanting to nibble around at the food this'll make it more palatable for them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Add vegetable oil, lard, or animal fat to her diet. Dense calories.
Cook up some meaty soup, add it to a high protein kibble.
Add canned mackerel to her kibble.
If nothing else, use canned ministrone soup to her kibble.
Oatmeal and rice are good aditives to the diet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this happen with a cat once. At the vet's suggestion we started putting out the commercial kitten milk to supplement the kittens (to relieve the strain on mom.) Mom ended up loving the kitten milk and scarfing it down (to no ill effect.) Also, I know for underweight cats it is helpful to offer gatorade in addition to water and lamb babyfood.
Heidi

·
Registered
48 Posts
1 can condensed goat milk + 1 cup yogurt + 1 raw egg

It's better than puppy milk replacer for pups and it's the best stuff for helping bitches gain back weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts