Dog in pain...what to give?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My dog somehow managed to pull one of his toenails out. Poor fellow feels so bad. I know that foot must be throbbing something terrible. Is there any over-the-counter pain med that would be safe to give him?

2. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Aspirin. Try 10mg/lb every 12 hours. I use the low dose aspirin for my dogs (jack russell and queensland), but it would be easy to use regular dosage pills for a big dog. Try putting them in a piece of meat or cheese and they'll gobble them right up.

(vetinfo.com for more info)

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yes, aspirin, not tylenol, which can be toxic to dogs. clippers for their toenails can be had at walmart for about 5 bucks. my dogs are far less active than they used to be, and if i don't clip their nails, they break off.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Also, not advil or aleve. Just plain asprin.

Ouch! Loosing a toenail must really hurt. Poor thing.

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Use baby aspirin & wrap it in a slice of cheese!

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

When I first read that I thought you meant to wrap the paw in cheese. I was thinking, "How are you supposed to keep the dog from eating the cheese?".

:rolleyes:

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

The cheese makes it easy to get them to take it & also makes it eaiser on their stomachs.

8. Ravenlost

LOL...thanks for the laugh! I think I have some St. Joseph's so will go and find it. He loves cheese so it shouldn't be any problem to get him to eat it.

We have a nail clipper, but I'm afraid to clip his nails. They are solid black and I can't see where the "quick" starts.

9. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

if the asprin upsets his stomach get him Ascriptin instead It is asprin with malox in it so it don't burn his tummy. Its what my vet recommended for my guy. she said one for a dog about the size of a large beagle cut it in half for smaller dogs and use one and a half for one the size of a lab. drug stores carry it and so does walmart

10. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

If you just cut a little bit off every week or so, you'll get those nails down to a size where they won't break so easy. Doing a little at a time, forces the quick back, so you can cut a little each time and they shouldn't bleed (or hurt) if you do cut the quick, just put a little dry cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding.

If your dog was under a year old the nail will probably grow back. Older that that, and I think he's lost it for good.

11. Ravenlost

He's two-years-old. All the dogs are indoor-outdoor dogs and do so much running around outside that their nails stay naturally trim. I will ask the vet about it in January when Huck goes in for his yearly check-up and rabies shot.

12. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

One thing I would recommend, if you are afraid of nicking the "quick" - use a dremel. I'm not sure if you'd want to go out and get one just for the purpose of doing your dog's nails - we did, but that's because we have a kennel and for that many dogs, it makes it so much easier - but a Dremel can have many other purposes around the home or farm.

To do your dog's nails, I believe you use the tip that is very much like sandpaper. I'd have to ask my mother exactly which tip it is. The biggest thing then is just to get your dog accustomed to the sound of it, and shave some off of the end of the nail. It also leaves the nail with a much rounder tip, instead of a sharp cut-off like clippers would.

Hope this helps,
    Hannah

13. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Just make sure its plain aspirin.I read some where Acetaminophen (aspirin substitute) can be fatal to dogs.

14. devriesj

devriesj New Member

The cheese bit had me cracked up.
    But my dogs have solid black nails, too, and I can't see the quick. The vet told me to keep clipping them. They do bleed sometimes, but the more they're clipped, the farther the quick retreats. So the answer isn't to not clip their nails, it's to clip them more often. Boy, they do bleed when you nick the quick, but it doesn't seem to bother them as much as it does me. We do get attached to the little buggers, don't we?
    devriesj

15. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

You could try getting some styptic (sp) powder. It'll stop the bleeding pretty quickly.

16. Ravenlost

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Huck seems to be feeling better this morning. He's still licking the paw a lot, but he's a fanatic about that...he once had a small cut on a leg that he licked so much he ended up needing minor surgery to repair it (he caused it to heal abnormally and the vet had to trim and stitch it).

He doesn't seem to mind the aspirin at all. Last night I just put it on his tongue and he swallowed it. I'm using St. Joseph's and it seems to help him.

We are very attached to our dogs and cats. My hubby even said once that Huck was like the son he never had!!! If anything were to happen to him it would devastate us. I pulled him out of a ditch on a cold wet December evening two years ago when he was only 6-7 weeks old. We almost lost him in June when he was bitten by a huge cottonmouth.

Anyway, thanks again. You've helped make him much more comfortable.

17. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

In addition to the aspirin, you might want to dress that nail with some topical antibiotic ointment -- use the one with the numbing agent in it (some generic of Neosporin Plus).

My big ol' Buster just snagged his nail the other day. The ointment plus 5 gr aspirin helped a lot. I also had to put some bitter apple around the wounded area, because, like your dog, Buster is a major licker when he's wounded. (Boy, did we have problems when he was castrated!)

Good luck, fuzzy hugs to your pup!

18. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

southerngurl:

Reminds me of a friend who worked in a pediatrician's office. She gave the mother a suppository and even told her where to stick it. The mother called back and said she had placed it per direction, but now needed to know how to get the tin foil (wrapper) out of the baby's butt!