dog hobbles?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jim East Tn, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

My 90# Lab/Rott mix after 4years has figured out how to climb our chain-link fence. She has about 1/2 acre to run in, but it is now too small for her common-dog-sense. Outside of tethering on a run, what options do you all see? How about some kind of hobble? thanks for ANY ideas.

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Run a hot wire around the top of the fence.

Jena

3. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I had the same problem with my Lab. He wasnt happy with the acre he had to run in, had to climb the fence.

I bought those "no jump" hobbles...dont waste your money or time. First of all the dog can reach and chew them, second, they just dont work, he climbed the fence like they werent on. They MIGHT stop a dog from leaping over a fence but if they climb, forget it. The electric wire is the only way to go.

4. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to tie my big male dog to a 1 gallon bleach bottle filled with gravel. Used a smooth cable tie and he got tired of pulling the bottle around. There was enough wire that he couldn't hang himself.

5. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

If you have chain link get those wire holders that you see along the top of security fences (usually facing outward to the public side of the fence) but face then inward with a hot wire, smooth wire or something similar. While climbing straight up may be old hat the dog will be baffled by the fence suddenly curving inward and it will not be able to negotiate the top.

6. FarmGirlJo

FarmGirlJo Member

I had a dog who could jump a 6 ft. kennel that had a hot wire around the top. She would sail over it like a deer!

Has anyone tried the wireless fence? The kind where the collar works from a base, no buried wire.

7. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

my aunt had a basset hound mix ( ugliest dog you ever seen), and she had the invisible fence. You have to actually teach the dog to not cross. May as well teach it to not jump out. Her dog would head at the line, ZZZZTTTTT!!!! and keep going.

8. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Farmgirl, I've met more dogs than not that would run right through those fences- at least on the way out- if something tempting presented itself. I think they're pretty worthless, especially with strongwilled dogs like huskies, terriers, etc.

An invisible fence PLUS regular fencing might work well though- run the wire along the existing fence and set it with a 4' deep warning zone- dog can't get close enough to jump the fence.

Just pondering,
    Cait (who is glad that her big dogs are big-dogs-without-legs. :D)

9. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We have a great pyr and 1 acre was not enough for him. Acre is fenced with barb wire and field fencing but that would not keep him in. Had to resort to single wire electric and he hasn't gotten out since. He "Tests" it once in a while but not much as he doesn't like the shock.

this worked for us maybe you too if the dog is a climber and not a jumper.

10. practical-cat

practical-cat Member

We have 3 Great Pyrz. One goes over the fences, two go under(digging). We have hot wire up, but their wooly coats seem to insulate them from it. It wouldn't be a problem (we have 30 acres surrounded by national forest, river, and state land) but one has taken to chasing logging trucks. It seems like you solve one problem and another springs up to take its place! On the bright side, no more cougars or bears come visiting!

11. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a neighbor who had a weiner dog who use to climb the fence and take off. They tied about a 10 ft rope to the dog, and a large bucket to the other end. The dog could still climb the fence, but the bucket would catch on the top, and he could not pull it over. The 10 ft rope was long enough the the dog would not get hung up on the fence and hang himself. It worked like a charm.

12. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

bump

13. FARMERSAG

FARMERSAG Guest

i have experience with this and the hobbles probably wont work...i have seen my own horses run flat out hobbled...however there are commercially manufactured anti-jump harnesses made for dogs that resemble breeding hobbles made for horses...try "JEFFER'S" pet catalog or any better pet store...you may be able to make one from old reins...i would not be inclined to use nylon or poly webbing (like halters are made from) unless the animal was continually supervised as there could be a chocking/hanging potential if the harness were to become caught on the fencing...good luck