Dog hair in the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cresindo, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Cresindo

Cresindo Well-Known Member

I just clipped my dog yesterday and have a bag full of his hair. I don't need it yet as my garden is in the beginning stages- (Carrots, onion, cabbage, beans and lettuce only showing) but am wondering if I should save this for later when things get more serious. Will I possibly be in need of it then? Thanks!

2. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I did this one year, altho I had considerably more--I ended up with dog hair in my broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, and I put mulch over it.

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I put it around the trunks of smaller trees/shrubs (esp new ones) that might get deer or other rodent bark nibbling. Especially when leaves and other mulch/litter build up around trunks, to know that a varmint seeking to chomp on my tree trunk will smell dog (and flee) before they get there is a comfort. Have to renew every few rains. And never had any dog hair in my fruits or nuts.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a deer problem in Hawaii so I'll assume that it's for some other reason than wild animal control?

I must relate what's happened in our garden complex this year. For past 2 years, some gardeners have been using dog hair to protect their beets and chard from the deer which invade the city every night. Worked great until this year. The deer simply eat the leaf and stem down to the hair and go to the next plant!

Martin

5. TxGypsy

TxGypsy Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to try dog hair in the orchard or garden and you don't have a dog that you groom, try your local dog groomer. You would be astonished at how much hair a groomer takes off of dogs in a weeks time. I'm sure they would be happy to give you some. Only precaution I'd offer is that the hair might have fleas.....shouldn't have but it could.

6. Cresindo

Cresindo Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I threw out the bag of hair last night. I was referring to what I had read in Jerry Bakers book for varmint control but decided against it.

7. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Pet hair is great for the compost heap, and it's very useful as a mulch which will deter pests like snails and slugs, too. I've known people who've used it as a mulch in pots. Quite attractive, and of course useful.

You can always wash it. Keep it in a bag such as a pillow case, sloosh it up and down, and hang out to dry. You can always perfume it with a few drops of your favourite essential oil in the water.