Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: Our dog has fleas and we treated him with one of those squeeze-on deals last night. He spent the whole night running around trying to hide from himself, scratching and basically freaking out. He is still at it today. He hasn't slept at all, and can't even lie down for more than one second.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I would love any advice, also about how to treat the dog and the carpets naturally without any harmful substances as we have 4 children.

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Give him a bath in Dawn detergent. I hope you've called the vet as this is definitely not normal!

Eucalyptus naturally deters fleas, as does rosemary and numerous other herbs. Do some research online and you should be able to find some natural remedies for fleas.

·
le person
6,241 Posts
I've heard those over the counter things are more dangerous than frontline etc. I would ask a vet about it, but it sounds like, hopefully it is just a bad skin reaction. I have one cat who's hair falls out with frontline, just in the spot you put it.

A good friend of mine put frontline on their cat and it went into violent siezures and was put down.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Yes, it can happen. Especially with the OTC flea "medicines". It's much less likely to happen with one of the veterinary products, but I won't say it can't-some pets are much more sensitive than others.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I had heard garlic helps with fleas. As for his reaction, yikes! I would give him a bath in something non-irritating. A previous poster made a good point about over the counter stuff, Hartz is known for adverse and even deadly reactions.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
I hope you washed him, poor little guy, those OTC flea treatments can really hurt your dog. Some breeds/dogs do seem to be more sensitive, I only use Frontline, the regular one with out the growth inhibitor, because it can be used on pregnant females and young puppies. As for the carpet get a box of 20 Mule team Borax and shake it out all over, sweep it into the cracks and corners of the floor, you can leave it up to week or so, longer is better. It drys out and kills the eggs and fleas, we've used it since I was a kid. Works great.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I have seen the OTC flea treatments kill animals. Definately bathe him. I have also used Borax with very good results. I would recommend either Frontline or Advantage. Both are very safe.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Garlic does work for fleas...but it takes a few weeks to get into the system and start working. Personally, I have used the hartz OTC flea drops with IGR in it on all my dogs a few times (like when I ran out of garlic and forgot about for a few weeks) with no bad results in the past, but it only lasts for about 2 weeks even though it says 4. BUT every animal is different in what they can tolerate and what they can't. I had one cat that I could not use any drops on and only a pyrethrin based spray (like adams). The key is if your going to use any topicals, to watch for a reaction for the following 24 hours. If one occurs, then immediately bathe the animal with dawn or other grease cutting shampoo or detergent. That alone is usually enough to keep it from getting worse. But then I follow with a creme rinse to soothe the skin.
For natural flea killers, there is DE (diatomacous earth). Some say it works well, others say it does not. There are less potent chemicals you can use though. There is household spray that contains an IGR (insect growth regulator) that works well. You spray it once every 6-8 months on floors, baseboards, furniture, under cushion, drapes...anywhere flea eggs can go. It interupts the fleas life cycle, as it prevents the larva from hatching out. I use only the garlic in my dogs food and the household spray ( you can get seargent's gold brand at walmart) for fleas and as long as I don't forget the garlic or to spray the house every 6 months, I do not get a single flea. Outside during outbreaks (which I can tell by stray cats/kittens) I will use Sevin dust in areas that the sun does hit for most of the day. That helps control them outside and is safe for even poultry (I have also used it to dust chickens for mites).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts