dog guns??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Mar 16, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Shoot, shovel and shutup. Many of you have said this is the best way to deal with feral/let-to-run-loose dogs that are bothering our animals.

I just got back from WalMart. The salesguy caught me looking at the guns. I can barely tell a pistol from a bbgun. He asked me what I was wanting the gun for. I told him to shoot the dogs that killed our rabbits. He told me not to buy a gun and just put out some dog kibble soaked in antifreeze. Is this legal? It would be a horrible way to die, worse than being killed with a single shot, but I've never shot a gun before.

If, a very big IF, I were to get a gun, for the sole purpose of shooting at dogs on my property, what kind would I get? I would want something kinda small, something not very loud and something cheap to buy ammo for. I'm friends with the police at work. They've said I would only need a permit for a pistol, not for a "long gun." They invited me to come to their firing range for lessons. I'm guessing I should take them up on their offer.

These dogs form a very big pack. I see them almost every morning when I leave to go to work...not neccesarily in my yard. They range about two miles up and down the road. I know they do not all belong to one person and I really have no idea who to begin talking to about them.

What should I do?

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

On our place I dump offending animals with what ever is in my hands at the time. But for a relatively inexpensive long gun try an SKS, $139 for a never fired military surplus one.

7.62x39 ammo is $100 for 1000 rounds and will blow a dogs side out at 100 yards

Loudness can’t be avoided unless you use a bolt action with a silencer, but they’re a tad illegal.

The SKS cycles very fast, you could probably nail 3 or 4 before the packs gets out of range.

http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_Model_59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're looking for a rifle. Check out a Winchester '94. The 30-30 caliber ammo is easy to find. The gun's been in production for at least 100 years, so you can get a good deal on a used one. It's lightweight, has a great balance, and is just plain easy to shoot.

Actually Backwood's Home just did an article on the gun. It's my standard coyote plunker.

Definitely take your friend's offer and head to the firing range. I'd also recommend a hunter's education course.

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Yeah, go with what they've suggested- but for the love of god, don't use antifreeze. There are only a very few select people who deserve death by that stuff.

5. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Does anyone OWN these dogs?

How about simply asking your cop friends to take care of the problem?

For the money the SKS is the way to go or depending how far away, a shotgun.

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've had quite a bit of experience along these lines.

I'd have to say that for the money an SKS would be hard to beat. Make sure you get a good hollow point bullet for it though. FMJ stuff isn't the best for dogs. I'd recommend the CorBon tactical loads. They make them in 7.62x39 now.

Personally I usually use an AR-15 of some variety. I use the CorBon tactical loads that have the BlitzKing bullets. Works excellent on dogs.

Kill all the stock killing dogs you come across pets or not. If they love them so much they should keep them on their own property. If someone comes around looking for their dog present them with a bill for you dead stock, the price of your bullet, the labor for burying and liming it, plus a corpse storage fee and make them dig it back up and take it home.

I have no sense of humor about feral and stray dogs.

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I agree with the shoot, shovel, and shut up. I also agree with the SKS. But here in Florida if you do that, you have to really shut up. Even if you catch them killing your livestock, it's still illegal to shoot the dogs. Very STUPID law.

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Um... I'd like to step in here. USMC trained the husband to use firepower (small, medium, and blow a village of the face of the earth large). I'd never put my hands on a gun before he showed up. He's taught me how to load, fire, clean, and respect the weapon, but to shoot it at a moving target requires the ability to see beyond the target.

As in "what is behind the animal I'm shooting at just in case (very likely) I miss?" You have to be able to see in multiple dimensions, not just your target but everything in front and behind it. This is why my husband re-landscaped the property and dropped trees, so there would be a clear field of fire. A space where the range is backstopped by the side of our pond and any missed shots slam into the berm.

Nevertheless, in the heat of the moment I find a gun is useful only in that you can use the stock to beat the intruder senseless. Only once have I been able to get to the house, get the weapon, calmly load it, step outside, clear the shot, and hit the blasted fox. And the only reason I could do that was that he was so focused on getting into the chicken coop he never noticed I was there.

If you are not familiar with firearms you absolutely need to take a gun safety course and blow your way through box after box of rounds until you are absolutely comfortable with how this "tool" works, or owning one isn't just a waste of time... it is damned dangerous.

9. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, there's more than one canine cur fertilizing grass on my property that fell (and rather quickly I might add) to a .22 long rifle hollow point. Ammo is cheap and it's about as quiet as you're going to get in a firearm without a silencer.

You have to be proficient with it though and wait for a good shot.

10. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Dogs are just as much a part of earth as you think you are. God put rabbits on earth to be fodder for other critters. A lot of problems with you wanna-be hillbillies is that you think you can claim a little bit of earth as your own and demand everyone respect your notions.

My dogs are well trained, guard my farm and watch carefully after my kids. If you kill one we will have a problem.

BTW, my mutts just yeaterday draggeed a new calf to my porch --- the heifer had aborted her but thanks to Crunch the calf is gonna be okay.

11. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Now see, I have the opposite attitude of NWsneaky.

If our husky gets loose and someone shoots him for worrying stock I'm not going to get upset with the person who did it. I'll have regrets but it's my fault for not keeping my dog under control.

And as far as my claiming my land as my own and demanding you respect it.... you're darn tooten! I'll respect your land as well (by not going on it without permission). If you don't like my attitude then stay off my land.... or you'll have a problem. Other than that I'm real easy to get along with.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

12. chas

chas Well-Known Member

When I recognized three of my neighbors dogs in the pack that broke into my rabbits (they didn't even eat a one of them) I called. He said that none of them where his! So I said you don't mind me shooting the dogs if they come back again do you?
    To make a long story short I lost a large full grown pony, a hog, a calf, dozens of ducks, chickens, peafowl rabbits and a swan.
    The dog catcher from another county (we didn't have one)said he couldn't do much in time to do any good, need proof like a dead dogs liscence ;)
    At the time if dogs worried an animal through the fence,or pen shoot em.Now they have to have an animal down!!!
    My neighbors samoyds are history now .My 243 is fast and reaches out a long distance with a 3 to 9 power scope(getten old need all the help I can get!)to help.It's not loud like my 0-6 or 30-40 Craig .The women in the family love shooting it.After my boys and I cleaned up the packs we had at least a dozen and one coyote 175 yards at a trot. He thought he was outa range I guess :haha:
    And the neighbors all got the message.

13. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

So tell me nwsneaky, if someone else's dog or a feral dog (any other animal for that matter) were to come by and decide to make lunch out of one of your lovely cows or calves we can totally expect you to just stand there and watch right? Gimme a friggin break already. :rolleyes:

Hey, Daybird, I agree with Jen on the Win 94. Great little gun and fairly inexpensive. Marlin also makes a nice 30/30 lever for about the same price. They will knock down just about anything provided you aren't trying to shoot at something five miles away. Check out a hunter's safety course or find someone offering lessons on shooting and gun safety though.

14. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I AM a hillbilly, dam it. I DO claim this little bit of earth as my own (at least temporarily), and I'll respect your notions if you'll respect mine :D

15. groovy mike

groovy mike Member

First call the dog catcher - do it a few times.

Then get your friends to show you how to safely load and use a firearms (before you buy one!).

Never point it at anything you don't plan to kill - even if you THINK the gun is unloaded.

A 22 single shot rifle is quieter than the SKS and just as lethal at 100 yards of less.

Nothing wrong with the SKS but it is a semi auto rifle designed for battle. If you are already familiar with firearms I would recommend buying one, but if you are not familiar with firearms - I'd start with a bolt action 22. Semiautos seem to "load themselves" for people who don't know guns and sometimes accidents happen.

16. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Active Member

I would recommend a good 12 or 20 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot. If you are new to shooting you will have much better odds of making a quick killing shot than with a rifle. A shotgun also has a much shorter lethal range than a SKS or AR15. I noticed that a lot of folks suggesting rifles live in states like South Dakota or Oklahoma where the site distance is probably much longer than we have down here. All firearms are dangerous but you don't have to worry quite as much about a shotgun carrying across the hollow to the next ridge like you would with a rifle.

Speaking as a real hillbilly (and not a "wanna-be") if I did this I would keep it quiet and do it sometime when no one is around. This kind of thing starts feuds, if your neighbors know you did it and your dog ever gets out you can expect the same treatment, even if it only gets out once.

17. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I agree with GM. Get a single shot LR22. They are a lot safer for the inexpreienced and you learn quick that every shot counts because you mayt not get a second. Being new at shooting you realy shouldn't be trying anything over about 50 to 75 yards anyway.

18. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

as a beginer you are at a disadvantage.we started off with pellet guns when we were young and then on up too long gns/pistols. even haveing to relearn to trigger with my other hand got good at hitting what i aimed at. dog/coyote packs are not fun at all . trying to save a gutted lamb hardens many hearts to canines. there was a young boy recently was pulled down by three dogs four other people were baddly bitten saving the boy. was not the first time they had bitten but was the last!having been raised with dogs and dog people have a very deep love for dogs but a dog gone bad is worse than a car with no brakes! I would get a gun and train long and hard with your police buddies before firing at any thing!!my suggestion would be a m1 carbine, nothing wrong with a sks but the rounds do carry a ways ,best to keep rounds close quartered. i would also talk to the local farmers as they have probably suffered losses too. look at beefing up your enclosure and adding electric fencing.

19. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Just asking a question here, wouldn't a shotgun be better? Unless someone is very isolated, wouldn't a rifle bullet (if a missed shot) travel to who knows where, and maybe hit something/someone that it shouldn't.

I went back and read all the replies, I see that the shotgun versus the rifle has been mentioned.

Also, a pack of dogs is dangerous to people, that has been mentioned also.

20. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

I'm with the rest of the folks here, a good used SKS will serve you well as long as you use the three P's of firearms. Practice practice, practice. Once you are completely compitent with that arm, it will serve you well. Notice please that I didn't say comfortable. There are far too many people out there who were "comfortable" around firearms, and thats when mistakes happen. Complacency kills.
    NW, you may some kind of pacifictic vegan all life is sacred person, and nothing is wrong with that (especially the last part) But the rest of us have a right to protect our stock and our loved ones. We lost 40 odd chickens to loose dogs after last years hurricanes, and if I could they'd have all be toast. Those animals killed a good source of food and income for my family. They represented a serious investment of time, money and emotion.
    TYUSCLAN, what part of Florida are you in? Here in Polk county the law says that any animal on your property behaving aggressivly to you and yours not only can but should be shot. No repercussions legally.