Dog food

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by mike3367, Dec 11, 2006.

1. mike3367

mike3367 lost in my own mind

i was wondering do your breeders at there change your dog food when the female dog becomes pregant? My vet told me it be a good idea to switch her to puppy food until the puppy's are weaned.

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Only when pregnancy is confirmed by ultrasound did we up the amount a little bit 25% more maybe, then about 50% more once the pups were born. Really, you can best judge the female, if she is getting too thin, feed more. Our females were eating Timberwolf Wild & Natural which was 36% protein and I think 18% fat which was already a higher protein diet so no didn't switch, anyway Timberwolf didn't offer a puppy food.

I would go with your vets suggestion if you are feeding a dog food that is not very high once you confirm pregnancy you can up the amount of food also.

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Would depend on the breed, the female dog, and the food I was already feeding. My current food, Extreme Dog Fuel, I wouldn't switch to puppy grade. Also, with Danes, I won't switch to puppy grade. Also, the amount depends on how far along she is....

4. mike3367

mike3367 lost in my own mind

well the breed is bull terrier and the food is diamond naturals beef and rice, as my pug was having trouble with the corn in the food so i switched to this food for all my dogs.

5. Lynnette

Lynnette Michigan Hobby Farmer

You sound like me, my pug could not tolerate corn either, so I switched to Diamond Lamb and Rice, until the aflatoxin scare, no they get Purina One Lamb and Rice.