Dog fencing - underground

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by vtfarma, Mar 30, 2006.

1. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

We are purchasing a Radio Fence underground dog fence for 5 acres of our property. Has anyone had any experience dealing with this brand or any others for that matter. We got prices from several companies to have it done (we usually do all the work around here on everything ourselves so the labor really makes us choke) and the prices were 1200 to 1900 for a 1600' fence.

Thanks in advance. Laurie

2. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

My father bought one for his german hunt terrier. The dog would grit his teeth and run over the line taking the shock. He would then roam the neighborhood and stay just outside the shock range when he came home. We never did break him to the underground fence and sold it at a big loss.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I have a Pet Safe fence and for my dogs/situation I really like it. This is the 4th system for me-one at the old house (also pet safe, left it there), one at my mom and dad's house (also pet safe, about 7 years old this summer), one that was here when we moved in (innotek contain and train, didn't like the collars-they would switch from mode to mode on their own), and now I have the current Pet Safe that we've had for right at 2 years now. I paid the extra money for the pet safe version of contain and train and wish I hadn't. How it works with Pet Safe is that you push a button and the whole area gets flooded with signal (either tone only or tone and shock). Would be great if you had one dog that was a barker or didn't come when called, but I have two dogs, so if I want to correct one of them I either have to take the collar off the other one or correct them both. Over all I've been pretty darn happy with my Pet Safe.

As far as how happy I am with the whole invisable fence thing in general: I love it for my soft goldens. They will chase the barn cats right up to the fence line and stop. My brother has a german shepherd that I could not train to the fence (she likes to chase more than anything). She was so smart that she would lay next to the fence where the collar would only beep and run the batteries down, then cross the fence and go where she pleased. Wouldn't have been so much of a problem if the batteries weren't so darn expensive! So I guess it really depends on your individual dog whether the fence will work well for you. If I had unlimited resources I would love to have a combination solid fence/invisible fence-the solid fence would keep out unwanteds and the invisible fence would discourage escape attempts.

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I am glad someone brought this up. We to are thinking of putting a system in. I will look forward to everyones opions.

Patty

5. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

we have one for our 2 labs and it really is great!

the one we have uses 9v batteries, no problem keeping up with them since we always have them in the house.

Our labs used to hug the house until they got the hang of the boundry (even with daily walking and training) and it took about 10 days until they learned where they were able to go. We even ran the line inside a hose and crossed the creek with it so they could still get to the water.

Now if it could only keep the neighbors dogs out!

I think you'll love having it once it's put in. FYI we didn't bother to bury the wire in the brusshy side of the yard, we just pegged it to the ground and the weeds cover it just fine. It's a pain to bury the line but at least this time of the year the ground should be soft enough for you.

Good luck!

6. neolady

neolady Well-Known Member

My girlfriend had electronic fencing and collars.

Please note that it does not meet the by=laws of most municipalities in most areas. It does not keep predators or trespassers out and it does not keep a motivated dog in. It is not reliable if there are breaks, low batteries in the collars, etc. She lost both of her dogs when they were stolen from the property. The collar of one of them was found thrown away.

The batteries for the appropriate collars were VERY expensive. Make sure that you check that out first. For the amount she spent on batteries over the few years she had it, she could have installed good, secure fencing that would have kept her dogs in and trespassers off the property.

7. vtfarma

stealing our dogs won't be the problem. They are a boisterous, bouncy pair. I enjoy them and the neighbors directly around us are fine with them but the walkers who just pop out of no where can freak out because they don't know what to expect. They won't bite, they just think they are supposed to play with everyone.

We are renting a trencher to put in the fence. It is going to cost 130 for a day but I think in the long run will be well worth the price since we are putting in 2000'. I cannot imagine hand digging it or for that matter using our excavator and then having a muddy mess to rake out. We do not have unlimited resources. In fact we are pretty hard up right now. Not much work and major health issues, but the dogs mean alot to us and while we live here we need to keep them safe. We have some pretty illogical people who live around here and it will be better to start this way and work our way up to razor wire and 220 v to keep them out! We even got the stubborn dog version of this coming so that we can be sure that they will pay attention. Now if we could just keep those chickens out of the road... maybe little collars for them!

Thanks everyone for the input. I will let everyone know if we wasted our money or not.

8. mutthouse

mutthouse Active Member

The main thing to remember is that the dog has to be trained to respect the fence. I don't know anything about your brand, but I had to put in an Invisible Fence (big discount cause I work for a vet) when my Irish Setter consistently thwarted all my attempts to break her from digging under the fence around the ACRE of land I bought for her! LOL! The IF people were great about educating us and we taught the dog to respect boundaries with flags, and to respect the buzz of the collar, before she got her first shock. As far as I know, she's gotten exactly 2 more shocks in 1 1/2 yrs--when she forgot! She has been taught to back away from the shock/buzzing of the collar. Works for us!

9. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

I would think aboout fencing a smaller area and only use it when you can't be there to supervise the dogs.

That said they are easy to lay yourself. Rent a gas powered lawn edger (a sod buster behind a tractor set at about 6 inches would work too) and just use a stick or other thin impliment to push the wire down deep into the slit in your sod. you don't want the wire too deep as this cuts the signal to a smaller field. For more wire and flags than come with the basic kit take your original roll or a sample of it to a electical supply house and have them sell you the same wire. I once tried to sell a spool of exta wire to an electician when I worked in a petstore and he took one look at it and said I've got 1000 yards of that in the truck right now. The flags are ~$10 a gross at Home Depot. When i worked at the petstore about 2 years ago the basic petsafe system was about $125 it included a 5 acer charger and 500 feet of wire plust 50 flags. (instalation not included of course):)

10. vtfarma

thanks to all who have offered info. We have purchased the Pet Safe for stubborn dogs (because we have boisterous dogs). They walk well on a leash and listen usually. I don't know that I would trust it to leave them out when we are gone - in case of power failure or something like that - but when we are home and they are trained we want them to have the freedom to go play in the yard with each other without fear that the neighbors will bring their creatures by and then scream at ours when they go near them. We also like them to protect our farm animals which they can't do too easily if they are in the house or on a leash with us. Somehow or other, at 46 and with RA, I just don't move as fast as those little suckers do. We are planning on installing it this week. I figured a month of training before I started to relax and let them out to pee without me hovering over them.

Thanks again all,
    Laurie

11. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

This thread has a lot of information about invisible fencing.

12. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Since I have spent so many years hearing both sides of this I would like to chime in. :)

This has been pointed out by Neolady and I wouldn't take that lightly. Being in a Vet clinic I was the one who had to put dogs down or put them in the big freezer when they would be brought in dead. So, I learned really quickly that these "invisible fences" were indeed "invisible" to the dog anytime they really wanted to get out. Anytime..and he breed made no difference.

I would NEVER recommend them to anyone. I've seen friends lose their dogs, either by having other dogs come in and kill the resident dogs, or by the resident dogs being tempted by about anything you can imagine from squirrels, other dogs, kids, walkers, chickens, horses..you name it and too often the dogs get killed or badly injured when they go through that "fence".

There is another factor here too in some areas. That is that these "invisible fences" are not trusted by people walking by....and with good reason! So, it's more likely that a dog inside one of these things is going to get hurt by these "walkers"....we saw a number of cases where the joggers and kids going to school went out of their way to pick on and throw things at these seemingly unrestrained dogs out of fear or just orneryness.

I always tell people who ask to spend their money on a good perimeter fence.

Good luck.

LQ