Dog eatting grass

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CODIACRCMP, May 18, 2005.

1. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

I heard that when a dog eats grass, they do it because they don't feel good. Is this true? My dog isn't eatting it, more like cewing on it.

Thanks
    Danny

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Very true, dogs eat grass. It is because they get minerals from it, it is normal for them to throw it back up also.

3. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

When my dog's stomach is upset he will search the fields for a certain type of grass, actually eat it, and then regurgitate it. Within a few hours he feels fine.

4. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

How about when they chow down on peat moss? Threw some on my beds and the dang dog is out there eating it like it's steak. Doesn't seem to have any ill effects from it.

5. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

I think it's a Spring Tonic sort of deal. All the dogs and cats here are attracted to the tender Spring grass, sit and eat it, then happily wretch for a while. It's just the way things work IMHO.

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

When dogs eat grass, there is something wrong. They may be missing something in the diet, bad belly, whatever. My dogs are eating my lemon grass, I am looking into what may cause it.
    I give them eggs when they get sick, they may just be doing it to get some yummy farm eggs. :bash:

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

No, dogs and cats both naturally consume grasses to get vitamins and minerals they can't get elsewhere. They especially like oat, wheat, and rye grasses. They are very nutritious.

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, all of my dogs love to munch on the rye grass we planted in the back last Fall. They eat some every day. Sometimes I accuse them of actually being very small, odd looking cattle.

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Buster the Wonder Dog eats grass just because he seems to like it. When he feels the urge to regurge, however, he looks for a coarse grass that grows out at the back of the lot.

Now, I could be wrong, and my darling Buster could be just plumb stupid and eating the wrong grass. ;)

Pony!

10. Northman

Northman Well-Known Member

I always thought they eat grass to relieve themselves of hair stuck in their throat. (The grass blades collect the hair and then they thow up ridding them of the hair.)

11. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Thank goodness and thank you all for the information in this post! Claradog (english springer spaniel) has been a grazin since she was a pup, now at 70 pounds she still loves to graze the pasture grass as it comes up each spring. I just thought she was weird since she does not throw it back up!

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

For some reason mine would find some particularly bad place to throw up. Ever tried to clean dog grass vomit out of the tracks of your sliding door?

13. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Heehee

Try getting ducks if you want some fun messes.

14. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

I recently read in my AKC dog magazine that dog eating grass does not mean he is sick (not all the time anyway). It even said some puppies chew on it just because they like it... I was worried before I read this because my pup kept munching on it. But wasnt acting sick at all. SO now I am not worried about her- she is just being a goober.

15. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, my DW (who worked for a Vet for five years) says that is a "wives
    tale". Some dogs eat grass, and some don't. My black lab mix loves to
    eat grass (and doesn't throw up) while I have NEVER seen by yellow lab
    eat one blade. Reminds me of the time we were in N. Minnesota at the
    Vince Shulte (?) Bear Preserve and I was knocked out over seeing these
    black bears grazing like cattle on grass! The lady "ranger" said that some
    do and some don't...
    james

16. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

James-

We have a yellow lab (7mos), black lab (7yrs), and a choc lab (7 yrs) !!! :)

LOVE lab's! Our choc (Moka) is obsessed with tennis ball, yellow (Sunni) is obsessed with Moka, and the Black (Polo) is quite a rat hunter. Sometimes he mistakes cats for rats and we have to call him down. ha! They all love the water. We take them to the lake almost every weekend in the summer. Its like having 3 extra family members. They are so cool.

17. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

We have one dog I think she is part goat she eats grass all the time.

18. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

And just now, the title of this thread struck me as funny:

Dog eating grass! I mean, picture it: A giant clump of quack-grass jumps up and tries to eat old Bowser... :haha:

Okay. Obviously, it's time for this Pony to hit the hay...

19. tinkerbell

tinkerbell the tinkerhog

Every morning when I let my 3 out, the first thing 2 of them do is go for the grass by the back door. I agree that they just like the taste. Doggy Salad. :p