dog eatting dead deer!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by christie, Jan 3, 2009.

1. christie

christie Well-Known Member

So we have a road kill deer that we decided not to butcher. my husband dragged it in the woods for the coyotes.
    This mourning I found the deer in my driveway..{decapitated no less}. I didn't think a coyote would drag it out in the open. Later I saw my german shepard dragging the deer further up the d/way. couldn't believe he could do that. And yes he was eating it. And I presume he ate the head too!. So my neighbors saw my dog eating the deer and called all concerned. They told me they have a friend whos dog died from eating the intestines of the deer. And that there vet agreed that that is how the dog died.
    Now I use to feed raw food only to my dogs. And I was suppose to give my dogs some organ meat, and yogurt to replicate the intestinal bacteria. I never heard of such a thing and have been searching the web, and can't find anything on it. We aren't hunters so were not up on all that info!
    So I wasn't really worried about my dog eating the deer until now.
    So whats your guess?

2. garliclady

garliclady Well-Known Member

My 14/15 year old bluetick hound still eats dead deer (all parts). She still gos over to my brother in laws everyday to check and see if he has been hunting and has left her any parts!

3. mink

mink Well-Known Member

dogs eat maybe as many deer as the coyotes do.....mink

4. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

If it were me though.. I would not let the dog inside tonight in case dog throws up the deer.

5. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Assuming it's cold outside where you live, I would have left the deer where the dogs could eat it, then I wouldn't have fed them for a week or two.

Dogs eat deer all the time, and will typically leave the intestines. Sounds like a pile of nonsense to me.

Pete

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Deer meat always gives my Dogs very Bad Gas.:eek:

big rockpile

7. ksfarmer

ksfarmer Retired farmer-rancher

:eek::eek:Ditto on the gas problem. Terrible!!!:eek::eek:

8. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I think it's time for your neighbor to find a new vet.
    My little Cocker Spaniel eats deer all winter. He had it tonight, even.

9. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

You need to get a good vet and quit listening about the one that dies from eating intestines. the only way intestines would kill them is if thy eat it without chewing it up first. Any thing like the intestines will pas through the digestive tract hole. It will cause them to have a stomach ache but I have never heard of it killing them.

10. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

my dog goes out in the woods and brings the head/skin/whatever the hunters leave behind. We just let her have it. I think I noticed a bit of hair out there today that she left...
    hasn't killed her yet.
    Your neighbor is paranoid. Or maybe they had a poodle?
    (no offense intended to the poodle crowd!)

11. cathleenc

cathleenc Well-Known Member Supporter

ditto on the normal behavior and ditto on the bad gas.

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My dogs feast on deer every year during deer season. Around here we have a lot of idiot hunters who dump deer after removing only the hindquarters and/or the head.

Only time the dogs get sick is when they eat to much.

13. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

In raw feeding circles it's called "whole prey" feeding.

FWIW, my dog is a failure at whole prey feeding venison! My brother got me a deer Wednesday and I haven't had a chance to cut it up yet. It's cold here, so I've left it lay behind the garage. My dog has eaten until she's puked on two separate days. Thursday she was so full and miserable that she layed out on a snow bank for an hour while we were splitting wood! I guess I better get to cutting that deer up tomorrow.

14. beccachow

beccachow Animal Addict Supporter

Yup, Dukie was spotted dragging a deer leg up from the woods (gag). He had the worst breath ever, but was ok.

15. ovsfarm

ovsfarm Well-Known Member Supporter

A while back, there was a slow moving possum in our yard, so dh shot it and threw it over the hill. The next morning, it was back in the yard. Dh peed on it and threw it over the hill. The following morning, the dog had brought it back up into the yard. Dh stood out in the rain on his way to work, burried it a shallow grave, peed on that. The following morning, he said that if the possum was back, he was going to pee on it again and shoot the dog that kept dragging it back into the yard.

16. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Every few weeks neighbor will pick up a road kill deer and bring it home to feed his outside dog.

Dog is in good health

17. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I don't think dogs have wisdom about when to quit eating. That kind of makes sense --- wild dogs (wolves) gorge when food is available, then go hungry until they catch something again. My grandmother tells a story about a dog they had when she was small. The men would be out mowing the hay field with a team of horses, and the dog would follow along, catching and eating mice by the hundreds. When she got too full, she'd go off and throw up, then head right back out to catch more mice.

Kathleen

18. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

If you know that the deer didn't die from disease, it's perfectly healthy for the dogs to eat them. For a few days they'll stink and be pretty worthless, being full of raw meat, but will be back to normal once the carcass is clean. I would prefer to feed my own dogs the deer meat and safe the money I would normally have spent purchasing bagged dog food.

19. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Dogs like wolves will gorge on an animal .
    also like wolves they well eat the guts and internal organs first.
    Normally what causes them to puke is all the deer hair they inject and cant digest.
    German shepherds have a thing for brains doesnt matter if its deer squirrel,rabbit or what ever they seem to eat the head first , then the guts and organs, finally the meat

20. heather

heather Well-Known Member

our dog eats deer he finds left from the hunters

he won't eat his regular food during this time & gets gassy & a bit listless (I think just because it bugs his system, because he's not used to it)