dog door for LGD

Discussion in 'Camelids' started by Windfell, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Windfell

Windfell New Member

Recently I noticed culverts placed between multiple pastures so LGDs could move easily from pasture to pasture without being tempted to dig under or jump over fences. The culverts were not what I want on my farm, so I went online to find another solution. Nothing that I could find. I ended up making a small panel that I could move easily between pastures without having to cut through fencing, place culverts, or anything like that. And while the dogs can pass through the panel, the alpacas can't. It helps and it's easy!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Maura and Chief Cook like this.
  2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

That sounds really interesting. Do you have any pictures, or can you describe it in more detail?

3. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

That does sound interesting. Pictures would help me understand too.

I don't raise alpacas but I do raise large Nubian dairy goats that my Karakachan (LGD) takes care of. I created a triangle with point down in my fencing. The adult goats cannot get their legs thru this; however, my Karakachan can go thru easily.

ldc likes this.
  4. Windfell

Windfell New Member

Hi! The dog panel is 2X4 feet and made out of metal. The opening is about the size of a piece of paper, but can be bigger. It's very light. You attach it between the end of a gate and the strike post and move it or rotate it out of the way whenever necessary. I don't think it will work for goats. They're too clever!

Attached Files:

ldc likes this.