dog doo-doo

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shoopic, Mar 21, 2005.

1. shoopic

shoopic New Member

Can anyone tell me what can i do to stop a dog from urinating & defacating on concrete.

2. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

If it's a small area, you could try Nature's Miracle. We had a spot in the basement that a cat kept peeing on. I put a puddle of this down and just let it evaporate. It takes the odor away so that the animal isn't as likely to go there again.

3. shoopic

shoopic New Member

thanks cindy

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) It's tricky to help as we can't see your particular circumstances. The yard, patio etc where this is happening. Also, how much time you are putting in with this dog makes a big difference, as does the breed.

I can pass on to you that dogs, like all critters, are creatures of habit. If you have developed good habits in this dog it will help you a lot to change this behaviour.

By "good habits" I just mean that from puppyhood, right after meals and right after naps the dog has been taken out to a particular area so it can do it's "business" there, with you there to give verbal encouragement and put a name to what the dog is doing. With time, the dog learns what you mean by "go______" and will urinate or defecate when and where you cue it to go.

You can start this training now.. again, depending on your bond with your dog. Is this a house dog or an outside dog?

To do so, really clean the cement. Then start really spending time with the dog. Right after meals, first thing in the morning and the last thing at night...take the dog out for a walk. Make this a daily habit..every single day..rain or shine. Most dogs will get this behaviour down pat rather quickly and eliminate at that time.

You will get results if you put in the time and give the dog time for it's body to readjust. After some time at this routine you will find out what time of day your dog tends to eliminate...and that's when you want to do the walks. Mine prefer first thing in the AM and late in the afternoons with a last "tinkle break" just before bedtime.

Hope all goes well and that you solve the problem.

LQ

5. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

Ditto what Little Quacker said. No quick solution; you have to teach the dog another habit. Use a leash when you take him to go potty. Positive reinforcement works much better than scolding.

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Take out on a leash to an area you want him to use and stay there saying go potty until he goes...then lavish on the praise. Don't let him out alone until he has the lesson well in mind. My Corgi was trained this way and it is really handy--like when you go to the vet and don't want any of those "I'm scared " accidents...or on a road trip stopping at rest areas. You'll be glad you did. Plus having only one area of the yard with land bombs is worth the effort!!! DEE

7. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I agree you need to spend the time to take your dog out to where you want him to go.

When we adopted our border collie, he'd spent three months in a kennel at Humane Society. The first day home, he did not know that in the house was not okay. The second day, he knew outside was the place, but did not know on the porch was not okay. I scooped his pile on a shovel and walked him to the far corner of the property and dumped it and hung out until he finished his business. Then he got a big "Good Boy!"

It really is that easy.

8. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I don't mean to contradict you but it might not be 'that easy'.

Border collies are generally *very* intelligent (aren't they supposed to be the smartest breed of dog??). I've always had rottweilers (also quite intelligent) and they practically house-broke themselves.

But now I have a basset hound. Bassets are notoriously stupid (cute, but stupid). She's two years old and is still not 100% house-broken (more like 80%).

The advice you've gotten is good. But a lot depends on the dog.

9. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Reading all this about training the dog to eliminate in a chosen spot has me thinking. (Especially since, a couple of weekends ago, I put in some quality yard-time doing the Tootsie Roll Harvest after a long winter...)

Do you think this would work with a stubborn 7 1/2 year old American Bulldog? I'll have next week off, so that would give me the time needed. But this blockhead can be SO stubborn! Grrr!

Sure would be nice to just clean up a few square feet...

Pony!

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

11. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

That is probably true, Barbarake. I've only owned the farm breeds who are willing to please. I had a female aussie who would pee on command.

I don't think Bassets and other hounds are stupid, I think they are just incredibly stubborn and disinterested in pleasing their owners. In that case, they must be forced to be interested in pleasing you.

12. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

Have y'all heard about the matchstick method for training a dog to defecate? Basically (and disclaimer here - I've never tried it!), you take the dog where you want it to go, issue your poop command and then insert a matchstick into his rectum. He'll "push" to remove the matchstick, and will void his bowels in the process. Pretty soon you just issue the command and the matchstick isn't necessary. Heard it doesn't take long - bur like I said, never tried it myself...

Pam :cool: <------- just doesn't know, but would like to hear if it works...

13. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Problem is with this, it's easy to rupture, or to scratch the rectum and cause infection. And it's not the WHOLE matchstick, either! Doing it the "easy" way could kill or seriously injure the dog.

Mon