Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't the pet forum, but you guys have pets and will understand. We had a little brown Chihuahua we have had for about 10 years, Over the weekend she just disappeared. She had been getting skinny but the Vet said she was just getting older. I have looked everywhere and there is nothing to be found. I am heartbroke. I kept holding out that she would come slinking up after getting in to something..but it hasn't happened. The weather has been freezing or below for several nights so I know if she can't be ok.I have looked the farm over, I haven't found even a sign of her.
Guess I just need to tell someone, thanks for listening, as we have said before , these guys really grab a part of your heart. I miss her terribly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately it's not uncommon for animals to "go away" when their time comes; I think it's instinctual somehow. But there's no getting around the pain of losing them, regardless of how it happens.

Is there any chance she may have wandered off and been picked up by someone? Can you ask around to your neighbors, check with your local SPCA/vets/etc.?

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Sometimes the not knowing is harder than seeing them go downhill at home. We had a friend that couldn't find his Schnauzer for a day and the dog had gotten under a recliner and when he closed up the recliner the dog stayed under there and never let out a peep. Schnuazers are'nt barky usually. Hope it's something silly like that and you find her.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Was your little Chihuahua inside when she disapeared or outside? If she was outside mabe some one picked her up. Or hopefully NOT a hawk or owl might have grabed her.

If she was inside look under the linning of all your sofas and chairs. She may have gotten caught and can't get loose. Please don't give up looking for her and calling her name.

I have lost two cats that way. Years ago my cat wanted out and DH let him out we never saw him again. We lived in the country, but neighbors had dogs we think might have gotten him. He was only about 5 yrs old. So the not knowing is what is so hard.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Sabrina, I understand fully your pain. Within the past year we've had two dogs come up missing, the last being only a few weeks ago. I just pray that whoever took him (if that's the case) is taking good care of him. Our county doesn't have a SPCA or pound. Everyone around knows our dogs and likes them. I will try our local vets and suggest you try that also. Our Catahoula was big enough to fight off coyotes but your tiny dog isn't. Have you seen buzzards circling?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YIPPPEEEE!!! She came up this morning, I cannot imagine where she was for so long, She looks ok, just seems very happy to be here. I wonder if someone picked her up ?
Just so happy to have her..stinkyness and all. :) Thanks for all the replies. I really thought she was gone. Whew!

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
For your dog's sake and yours, please keep her on a leash, in a kennel or be with her when she is outside. You were lucky this time. I'm happy for you, but wouldn't think you'd want to go through that again.
A neighbor recently had two 8 month old huskies get out of their kennel. They live about a mile away. They came to my house and got one of my turkeys, which he paid for willingly. However, I warned him about the dogs getting out as it is a major road between me and him. Sure enough, within a week, one of them got killed on the road. A sad tale. But it is up to the dog owner to secure the safety of their animal whether from cars, predators or people or just plain dangerous situations. Please keep her under your control at all times.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
That's great news! It is very upsetting to have a lost dog. I'm sure you will be keeping an "eagle eye" on her now!

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Oh I'm SO glad she's back and ok! I don't think I'd let her out without a leash or without being by her side the whole time anymore.

Wonderful news. So happy for you!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
My toy poodle Peanut, walked away one day and I never saw her again. We let the poodles out to potty. I ran back inside to go potty myself, but my daughters and neice were still in the yard. No one saw where Peanut went. We looked everywhere, but never found her. I'm so sorry for your lose.

·
Broken Dreamer
2,320 Posts
Yay! I thought she was a goner for sure - how can a Chihuahua endure freezing temps? So glad you got such a joyful surprise!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no clue, I wonder if someone picked her up..she was fine, and SO happy to see us. She jumped around and did the "peepee dance" that small dogs are famous for :) We have had her for so long she is like family..stinky family..but family. Thanks so much for all the kind posts .

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
When I was a kid the folks who lived a few miles away from us had a little pet dog they kept in the house. I don't know it's variety, a mongrel of some kind that weighed maybe 15 or 20 pounds. It was nearly blind, deaf and crippled with arthritis. They let it out to go to the bathroom one morning and it disappeared.

They were distraught and searched for weeks. I was running a trapline a good 5 miles from their house and noticed a dog face down in a creek. It looked as if it had just wandered down the bank and drowned and the ice froze in around it. My mother told these folks but they didn't think it could be theirs since it was so far away from their house. Finally after looking for several more weeks we finally convinced them to come check and sure enough it was their dog. It had apparently went down to get a drink or something and was so old and crippled it got it's head under water and couldn't get it back out. Poor thing drowned itself. They worked to chip it out of the ice and then took it home, put it in a trashbag and set it out in the garbage. Never quite understood their reasoning on last part.

Anyway, glad you got your dog back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts