Dog digging in flower beds.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mc's Farm, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Mc's Farm

Mc's Farm Well-Known Member

Any suggestions to keep dog from digging holes in my flower beds? Blue Heeler loves to dig deep holes to say cool. I've tried cayene pepper, crushed red pepper (had pepper plants sprouting), moth balls, moth crystals, filling holes with water. The only thing I have not done is to bury barbed wire. Too many flower beds!!

2. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

The best thing is probably a big fence around the garden, but lacking that, I've known people that have used segments of wire fencing laid on the soil, when you plant, so that animals, hens or whatever, will run into the wire when they try to scratch. kathrynlmv

3. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

we have done quite a few things - the cheap little fences from the dollar store about 18" out from plant works pretty well. The other thing is a hose with the motion sensor thingy on it so when something comes in front of it it sprays - Just don't forget its on. We hooked it up and pointed it at the planted area and when one of them decides its a bed they get a bath.

The other thing we did for one section was put electric fence up that wasn't hooked up. They are trained to the fence in the field and avoid it - we put a strand around the plants and that has worked too.

4. athome in SD

athome in SD Well-Known Member

I have put big rocks in the beds when the dog started digging. It worked
    for me.
    Christina
    athome in South Dakota