Dog diet?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Feb 2, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

My dog gets a good dog food diet but apparently is missing something.
    She insists on eating CAT POOP!
    What's up with that?

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    All dogs love cat poop. Its like candy to them. dont ask me why but it is and it wont do them any harm as far as I can tell. This is one of the great imponderable mysteries of life and not worth worrying about. Perhaps some day in the great beyond we will have the answer to this question ;)

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Cats have a very short digestive tract, and they're primary carnivores. Hence, their food tends to be incompetely digested, at least by dog standards.

At least, that's what my friend the canine nutritionist says. I just think it's GROSS.

Cait

4. Hi,

While my dog will eat cat poop, she will also eat rabbit poop. While booth animals have short digestive tracks, I think it has more to do with territorial dominance. Animals mark their territory with poop and pee. If a dog lets the poop stay there, they except the territorial line drawn by the cat. But dogs are dogs and very few will back down from a cat. After loping up a few cat turds my dog now controls the yard and the cat has found a little corner that my dog will allow it to take a dump in. It’s like drinking white lightning, not the most pleasant going down, but if you hit enough shots without dying people will respect your space. :p

5. Just one of thoses silly things dogs do. Has your dog ever rolled in the carcass of another animal? It's like perfume to them!! As much crap as dogs take from us is it really so suprising that they eat it? Seriously though it will not hurt your dog as long as the litter is non-toxic.

6. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

My one dog is a poop fanatic - goose, deer, cat, rabbit, doesn't matter! But I did have a dog a while back that was even worse - he liked dog poop! He was a beagle and his buddy was a cocker spaniel. He would follow her around to get it really really fresh. YUK! Did keep the yard clean though. :haha:

Hard to think about when they come to give you a kiss. :p

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Dogs tend to know what they're doing (except when they eat plastic and paper like my silly dog does sometimes). They also like the poo from nursing animals. Lap it up. I wouldn't discourage my dog from eating something it want's to eat that does not cause obvious harm. The only bad thing I could think of about eating cat poo is that if they had worms. Dogs will also eat their own poo (I got the word poo from steve irwin-crocodile hunter- teehee) sometimes. I just don't think that's a good thing. They have things you can put in a dogs food to keep them from doing that. Maybe it's safe for cats?

I happen to sell dog food. :D

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

Two items YOU should NEVER FEED your dog .....(1) PIG bones , (2)Chicken Bones.....I gave my akita a large pig bone and the next morning he had an Impaction. Kept trying to move his bowels but No go.. Fortunately , I caught it before any damage was done and the vet had to literally extract "IT" with her long slender hand.....Scared the Bejesus out of me.........fordy... :)

9. southerngurl

Chicken bones are fine if fed raw. If they are cooked they will splinter. I don't feed my dogs or cats any pork. It has very large fat globules that can actually get caught in the smallest capillaries of cats and dogs. Also pork is just nasty IMO. I don't know about pork bones if raw. I bet they are ok.

10. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

Tallpines were you at my house? :haha:

Our pointer loves cat or rabbit poop to eat and rolls in horse poop if she can find it. But then again most of our dogs have been this way. :rolleyes: Seems like if it stinks to us they love it. Now wheres that gag smiley??? She also likes to eat chicken and rabbit food.

11. special-k

special-k Well-Known Member

Our dog has found she likes poopicles. Goes outside and digs them up throws the up in the air and plays with them. Thought I die last week she brought one in the house with her.

special-k

12. Stray Cat

Stray Cat Well-Known Member

...Eat'in and roll'in into disgusting stuff...then happily run to you when they see ya watch'in...yuk! Years ago I asked our Vet about it...said I might be able to stop it if I change the dogs rich diet or lob a shake can towards him when and if I see him doing it. But once they get started...bad habit...
    I have had to put the cat's litter box in the bathroom and a baby gate in the doorway so the dog can't get to it and the cat can still use it...works for a smaller dog. It's tough to stop. I had a dog who would pile the cow patties by the back door. I think it was his private collection for all to see.

13. All dogs are basically predators & when they roll in bad scents, they are merely trying to disguise their smell, so that they can be more efficient in the Hunt.

14. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

That was me bgak47.

15. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Mine eats frozen chicken poop

16. southerngurl

When I had baby deer, my dog would lick their behind and get the poo flowing then eat it. That way I didn't have to do the warm moist dish rag thing to get them to poo. uck