Dog breeding question

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by bunnylady, Jan 23, 2007.

1. bunnylady

bunnylady New Member

Hi! My Basset Hound is due to come into heat in February. I have a nice male picked out and he lives down the road. My question is once I notice she is in heat when do I bring the male over to visit? How long should he stay? This will be her first pregnancy.. she will be 3 in April. I hope she gets pregnant, we are so excited about having puppies! Thanks for the advice in advance!

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Basset Hounds are prone to many health problems. Have both potential parents been screened for: eye problems (glaucoma can be a problem), bleeding disorders, hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia? Those are the minimums that the Basset Hound Club of America recommends prior to breeding. Here's the link for the Health Policy of the club: http://www.basset-bhca.org/Health/healthpolicy.htm

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

All of the above is correct. I start at day 9 or when the bleeding slows down. Also I look for ...when i scrath there butts if they hold there tails to the side . I will try them once or twice a day until the female will no longer stand. Bringing the male to your house may cause her to be protective and not accept him.

Patty

Be prepared for the screams during the first breeding , she may even try to bite him. Keep your hands out of harms way.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have a mentor to help you? Usually, the person who you bought your female dog from will help you pick out a stud, work with you on the best time, and answer any questions you may have during the pregnancy and whelping.

Are any of the puppies sold yet?

6. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I think the first thing to do is make sure that your stud compliments your female dog. Do his attributes complete what your female dog is lacking? Is he healthy? Has he and your female dog been at least examined for any hip dysplasia, back prooblems, hip problems? All of these are good to look into before breeding. I am not huge into OFA, but I do it if a I intend to use a female dog or stud for multiple breedings. Its a good place to start. Also, get in contact with yor bitches breeder and your studs breeder and see if he/she has run into any "faults" or health concerns. If both have had similar problems, these two dogs would probably NOT make great pups together. I DO understand the want to "make puppies". It can be very joyful and great to teach your kids on subjects that ptherwise may be difficultto approach otherwise. I just advise that you make sure what to know what to expect. What problems could happen such as a stuck puppy, a pre-term labor, an undeliverable pup, fading puppy, just to name a few. Also, get in touch with a breeder who can be there if you need him/her during labor and elivery. Sometimes it takes an experienced eye to spot a problem. Also do as much research as possible on your breed and pupies in general BEFORE getting her pregnant. And, last but very important, have an idea on how you will place these pups once they come. Be sure that you are willing to keep opups that dont have "good and loving homes". I am a breeder, we all start somewhere, just make sure you inform yourself and rEALLY know what is intaled BEFORE you make a final decision. As to your question, even though it took a while to get to, she should go to the male (not the other way around). Also, 9-13 days into her heat (after first sign of bleeding) she SHOULD be ready. Every female dog is different, my one female dog breeds at the first signs of heat (I have had a few unexpected litters from her till i figured out the problem). I suggest three ties to be certain, each about 12 hours apart if possible. For "full" coverage, bring her when she goes int o heat, and pick her up when she goes out of heat. Ummmm, I assume you know what tiing is if you are asking about breeding. GOOOD LUCK and PLEASE just know what you are getting into, seek advice from someone who has been ther and done it.