Dog Bite Help Quickly

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, May 17, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I came home tonight to find my dogs face swollen to about twice it's size on the side of his face above his lip to his eye and what looks like a grapefruit in his throat. The side of his face is hard. He can't close his mouth and he has thick drool coming out of his mouth. He did drink some water. I can't take him to the vet till the morning and the shock shot I have expired last year.

Any suggestions?

Edited later: Just noticed I labeled this post Dog bite, man my brain is jumbled. Should have named it dog bitten - sorry

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Doesn't your vet have an after hours number? If he does please call him or find a vet that does have an after hours number!

I could be wrong but I'd bet your dog won't be alive by morning without intervention soon. I'm afraid he'll suffocate if that throat lump is also internal and closes off his air supply.
    I am not a vet or vet tech but I've seen a lot of animals with bite over my 40yrs of homesteading and this doesn't sound good.

Good Luck and I hope I've very wrong.
    Let us know how it goes,

Kathy

3. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

You can give benadryl to dogs. Dosage is 10 mg for dogs under 30lbs, 25mg for dogs 30-50lbs, and 50mg for dogs over 50lbs.

Our Husky got stung a couple of weeks ago. She was all swollen up her eyes shut. It helped her out.

Do a google search on "Benadryl for dogs" if you want to read more. Hope all goes well.
    PL

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

do you live in the country? it sounds like it may be snakebite. it is not clear if the lump is in his throat? or on his neck? do you see any puncture wounds on his head or neck? they might be small. a snake bite usually isn't fatal to dogs. least ways, all of mine have been bit at last once, and none of them died.

what you can try is benadryl, which will reduce the swelling, if it is snakebite. if he seems to be in pain, you can also give him an aspirin, NOT tylenol.

if it is NOT snake bite, go with kathy's advice. most vets have an after hours number, and you can at least call and get some advice over the phone.

good luck and keep us posted.

5. emke

emke Well-Known Member

One of my husband's hunting dogs had the same symptoms. It had been bitten by a snake. Though the dog did look at death's door, by morning he was much better. My husband is one who would shoot a dog rather than take it to a vet (don't EVEN ask). He nursed it along and it was better in a few days. But, please, call your vet, or see them in the morning. Just because my husband was lucky this one time, doesn't mean that all dogs could be better on their own. Good luck

6. Sparticle

I moved out here 2003 and Vincet get's all his shots at home and his rabies shot was about 3 years ago on the other side of town. So I don't have a vet for him right now.

I'm going to just have to try the benydryl.

The lump Kind of hangs from the bottom of his jaw down to his neck/throat area. I don't see any obvious wounds on him at all.

I do have buffered aspirin that I got just for him when he hurt his ankle about 2 months ago. I'm worried about using aspirin though because it's a blood thinner and there's so much fluid in his face already. What if the fluid in his face is blood? Is that possible.

I'm going to go look at him again and see if I can see any puncture points and give him some benydryl. Thanks for being there for me tonight guys, it's been one heck of a day and this is just the cherry on top.

7. Sparticle

Ok, I don't have benydryl, but I do have alavert that melts on your tongue. Would that work?

checked again and no puncture wounds that I can see. The knot hanging under his jaw on his neck/throat is about 3 inches in diameter and about 2" deep. So about the size of a big orange not a grapefruit.

8. Sparticle

Ok, I don't have benydryl, but I do have alavert that melts on your tongue. Would that work?

checked again and no puncture wounds that I can see. The knot hanging under his jaw on his neck/throat is about 3 inches in diameter and about 2" deep. So about the size of a big orange not a grapefruit.

He doesn't seem to have any problems breathing.

9. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

I would think cold packs would help. Twenty minutes on, twenty minutes off. If you're using an ice pack, make sure you cover it with a cloth so you don't get the tissue too cold and compound the problem.
    It sure seems to me, you need to get a vet to look at it!
    Good luck!

10. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Can you get to a store to pick up some Benadryl? It would be much better to give him than the Alavert. The Bendryl will stop the allergic reaction if that is what this is and bring down the swelling. You could even buy the liquid form that they have for kids. If you have any neighbors with kids around they will probably have some, I know it is late but it is an emergency.

Get out the phone book and start calling vets. Even if you get a machine leave a message. You want to be able to get him to see a doctor asap so don't wait until morning to call. You might get lucky and have one answer or get back to you tonight to give you better advice.

Good luck I will say a prayer for your dog tonight.

11. Sparticle

Ok, so the other dog comes in and he's been bitten too! Same spot. Here's a HORRIBLE picture from my cell phone but it's the best I could do. You can't tell how much his face is swollen. If I could have gotten one with him looking straight at me you could see how swollen from the side it is. His entire snout on that one side is swollen out too not just down like you can see in the picture. Barney's isnt' 1/2 has bad though.

[​IMG]

12. Sparticle

On the way to drive into town to pick up some Benadryl. If I showed up at my neighbors house at midnight, I'd probably be greated with a shotgun. Plus I don't really know them and would just rather drive the 30 minutes to the store. Back in an hour. Thanks guys.

13. marvella

it is hard to tell from that picture. but if your other dog has it too, i bet they did get bit. the second bite has a lot less venom than the first. maybe they teamed up on it?

my vet told me not to worry about bringing my dogs in when they get bit. told me to do the benadryl and aspirin thing. do the cold pack too, as he said. go ahead and give the aspirin, but just one is enough. it is probably not blood in the swelling.

i learned a lot about snake bite and when to panic. my old house had lots of copperheads around. all my dogs got bit as well as a friend that was visiting. it is not a dire emergency, as most people think. even my friend- they gave her benadryl, antibiotics and something for pain, and sent her home that night.

hope it works out OK!!

14. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Quntmphscs - Please keep us posted... I can't believe BOTH your dogs have the same problem! Wonder if your pharmacy or store personnel might know of a vet that could help this late.

Do you have other family members there with you? Hate to see you home alone worrying all night by yourself. Course if it were me and my DH, he'd just go to sleep! He's not so great in a crisis.

15. COUNTRY WISHES

Well I thought that might be the case but I was hopeful that you did know them and could call first.

Maybe you could call the non-ememrgency number for the sheriffs office in your area and see if someone their could give you a number for a vet that will be available either tonight or in the early morning.
    You might describe the dogs symptoms too, since most deputies are probably long-term residents they may have seen this before and will be able to tell you what bit the dogs. Be careful yourself you do not want to get bit.

I have to get to bed myself. I will check in the morning to see how things went.

16. Sparticle

Yay! found a 24 hour truck stop that had benadryl and didn't have to drive all the way into town. So, both dogs got a dose of that and an aspirin and are up on the couch with dribble rags under their face. The black dog yellped when I opened his mouth, poor baby. Cold packs are next.

I'm also so bumfuzzled that I forgot that Vincent DOES have a new vet becuase I just took him there a couple of months ago when he hurt his foot. So going to go call them now.

Mental note, update the anaphlactic shock shots!

No, no other family members here with me so I'll just be up and down all night checking on my sick boys. Thanks for all y'alls help, it's been invaluable. I wasn't thinking clearly and couldn't think of what to do.

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................My dog was bitten two years ago on the side of his jaw. And , as you friend showed his face was also swollen . A midnight trip to the emergency vet in Ft. Worth cost me $350 . It takes a couple of days for the swelling to go down . Actually , vet said that copperhead bite is not as bad for a dog as a Rattler , If that is what happened to your best friend . They just have to work that poision out of their system . Hope he's feeling better , fordy.. :)

18. marvella

how are your dogs this morning??

you may want to consider getting them some antibiotics today. if nothing else, you can get procaine penicillin at the co-op, and give them 1cc per hundred pounds of body weight. if it were my dog, i'd give him 3 times that much as a loading dose, it won't hurt him. you may want to call your vet today as well, and see if he thinks they need anything else. but if they seem better, you can probably save the expense of having to take them in.

hope they are better, and that you got some rest.

19. Mary in MO

Mary in MO Well-Known Member

I've used bendaryl on both cats and dogs. Standard med I keep in my purse for all occasions. I hope your dogs are doing better this morning. Poor guys.

For future reference, keep both a list of how much of what you can give your animals in differing emergencies - and what emergencies you can give it to them for. Keep a handy first aid pack for them and just change it out once a year. I have a diabetic cat and a dog who loves to do bad things so I have had to pull out the emergency kit more than once. My cat went hypoglycemic two weeks ago at 11pm. His blood glucose was below 20. Can't tell you how glad I was to have the karo in a jar ready to go and knew what to do. Got him through it. Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared.
    Mary

20. COUNTRY WISHES

How are the dogs doing today? Did any of you manage to get any rest?