Dog Attack:

Discussion in 'Goats' started by bettie, Dec 15, 2004.

1. bettie

bettie Member

Hi,Back in july my goats were attacked by a rottweiler and fox hound. They broke through my pasture gate and killed some of my doelings.These dogs also killed some of my chickens and cats.I had to destroy some of my bucklings that were wounded about a month later.
    One little buckling and some reg. nubians out of six star milkers were sold to a friend.His herd was attacked about two weeks ago by a rottweiler and mastiff.His entire herd was killed.
    Our local paper did a story. The very day it came out in the paper (11th)I saw the rottweiler lurking outside our pasture.Today the rottweiler was back and DH shot it with a shotgun.

2. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Hi Bettie, so sorry to hear of your loss and your friend's loss. I think your husband did the right hting and hope yall do NOT have to suffer any longer.
    Keep it quiet about what happened to the dog.
    Was that all to your story?
    I'm soo sorry for yall.
    Rachel

3. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of all the goats and kitties. How horrible to lose them in such a way, at the hands of others ignorance.

Your DH did exactly what I or my hubby would have done. The dogs were not yours, did not belong on your property, and were not restrained by a leash. My neighbor's have two very large labs that scare the bejeebies outta me. He lets them run around his property unleashed and they have wandered onto my property after my chickens, but have not yet harrassed my goats. Now when I see his dogs out, I grab my lever action 30/30 so he knows my intent. One paw near my pens or stock yards and he will be minus a dog or two. If he wants to keep his dogs, he needs to keep them on his property as I intend to keep my livestock and will do what is necessary to ensure their safety.

Do you have a rifle, shotgun or handgun that you can use and keep at your side when you are out doing chores? It is rather a pain to carry it, but it may save a future attack.