Dog arthritis

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by greenacres, Jan 6, 2004.

1. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

We have a large german shepard/lab mix. He is 9 years old. He seems to have aged overnight. He jumped over the baby gate and didn't quite clear it. He is slow getting off of the bed. He is slow getting up when he has been laying down for a period of time. I was pondering giving some vitamins or supplements or something to help him out. Glusosamine chondroitin? or something of that nature. Anyone give anything to their dogs? Thanks.

2. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Check with your vet. There are some new medications for canine arthritis that will work wonders.

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    My dog duchess developed the same symptoms rather quickly. she has good and bad days. She still runs when the spirit moves her but she isnt as quick to jump on the bed and it takes her couple of runs at it sometimes. Our vet told us to give her 3/4 of a single aspirin each day and that seems to help her. Your dog is bigger so maybe it could handle a whole aspirin. I hide it inside a treat or a bit of butter and duchess eats it right up. All I have to do is rattle the aspirin bottle and she comes.

4. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

My dog has gone through several rounds of this problem. First she got arthritis at a young age and her knees went out ( both back legs!). Had knee surgery and they scraped the arthritis off at the same time. Wouldn't recommend that - it's very expensive, but she couldn't walk.

Then she started to slow down again a year ago (she's 11 now). I got her a friend. She perked right up and they wrestle and play all the time - it's like she's going through a second puppyhood!

5. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm using Deramaxx for my dog. It's very expensive, but it works. Back when we had warmer weather and his arthritis wasn't as bad, I just gave him Ecotrin every day.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

For a hunting dog that has a similar problem the solution was glucosamine sulfate at the rate of 500 mg per 50 lbs. of body weight. It can be obtained resonably from http://www.a1nutritionals.com/_glucosamine_facts.html and
    the daily maintenance will cost less than 15 cents. It is good stuff and I suggest anyone with arthritis to consider using it. I do and it works for me. Paul Harvey got me started on it and I have remained.
    I have not association with the above site other than being a satisfied customer.

7. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) So right about the new meds. They are great and a wonderful boon to those large breeds. Re the aspirin. Watch it...it's rough on the tummies. Be sure it gets administered with a meal. Even the buffered types are hard on the stomach linings. There are better meds out there for arthritic dogs than aspirin. LQ

8. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Go to the drug store and get some glucosamine and chondroitin tablets[ they are mixed] it is much cheaper then what the vet will sell you and just give one a day in a treat.

9. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

My dog takes derammaxx and uses my jacuzzi. I just double filter the jet intake before I let her in it. :)

10. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Oh I hope my dog never finds out about that! :haha:

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Our late dog was on liquid glucosamine / chondroitin. Made a HUGE difference in her comfort. Also gave her an aspirin on bad days.

12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

deberosa,
    My vet suggested the hydrotherapy after a tunnel she had dug in the excercise kennel caved in on her 2 years ago. I had to force her for the first two baths and now she jumps in on her own if shes hurting.

13. Fourthistles

Fourthistles Well-Known Member

We have a 12 year old Chesapeake and I give him glucosamine dog biscuits from NutraVet. He thinks it's a treat and it really helps him. I order them online and get 2 cases at a time shipped to my door (no one in town carries anything like them).

14. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for the information. I did some searching and found a vet site that tells how much to give him. I thought that is what I needed to do, but I wanted to see if others has done the same thing and it worked.

Fourthistles-how much do the biscuits cost?

Thanks.

15. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I give MSM, or glucosamine with peanut butter on bad days and green food powder with food.

16. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I had a big blonde german shepard, she was an achy old gal (21 yrs old when we had to put her to sleep, she just couldnt stand up no more) what did her the best good was HEAT, she had her own electric blankie to sleep on, and dont laugh, but she had jammies. we custom made her a set out of heavy sweatshirts. that the heat and a nasprine a few times a day did her good for a long time. if she decided as dogs do, to sleep off her blankie someplace she couldnt get up, but after a nap on her blankie, she was fine.
    i'm a lot like her anymore, I ache and nothing helps but heat and asprine... daily, regular doses, thats the trick of asprin.
    my moms old dog that just had a stroke was like that, she was getting slow and stiff, and she was getting the warmth treatment but she had the benifit of my moms new woodstove, so she was alwways looking for a cool spot to sleep. (ma keeps her house like a steel mill...whew!)
    my sister does the pill thing for her beagle, but I dont see where it does any better than the warmth and the REGULAR doses of asprin.

17. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

We had an old dog that was having joint problems and just used bengay cream on his legs. Smelled but worked.

18. henny

henny Guest

The Senior Dogs Project has a great site for Senior dogs and includes health info. The new arthritis drugs for dogs can help, but there are some serious side effects possible with them.
    To find out more go to: http://www.srdogs.com/

19. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

For the past year my Border Collie has had lots of problems with arthritis (he is only 5 1/2) After many different things we are finding good results with a product called Glyco Flex 3. It has the Glucosamine, chondrotin and MSM in it you can order it online from Revival Vet supply (the best price I have found) We tried the Rimadyl with no real noticable results (Rimadyl is controversial due to liver problems with some dogs, have to get from a vet) We have changed him to an Asprin a day when he needs it. Caution though watch for stomach upset. If your dog stays on the asprin you can get a stomach med to help protect it. (I use carafate, I get it at the people pharmacy with the vets signatures, it cheaper since people use it too!) My vet has told me not to use the Ecotrin, latest info says not good to have the coated asprin as it disolves father down the GI system.
    Unfortuantely I have lots of experience with arthritis as my daughter was diagnoised at 16 with Rheumatoid arthritis, and the vet is convinced that my dog may well have it also (rare in border collies though). We found with her therapy and lots of reading, many different therapies and many different results! But we have had good results with the Glyco Flex 3. Good Luck with your dog.
    Denise

20. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I suspect your dog weighs about one hundred pounds? One reguler people strength should be fine, I take one double strenth a day and on the bottle it says to take three.