Dog and Man reach understanding (finally)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mpillow, Dec 16, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Our Border Collie just had her 1st birthday and I think my husband has hated her since aout a month after he brought her home. She is hyperactive and prone to naughtiness when bored (exactly like our 4yo daughter).
    She doesn't bother me too much, in fact she is loose 24/7 to keep goats and chickens safe and she does a good job....even got nailed by skunk coming to cat's dish in the woodshed. She doesn't want much to do with "heel" but she prefers to circle and stop and stare. She and the cat have finally become a bit tolerant of each other even :)
    But one thing that drives everyone in the neighborhood crazy is her predator drive. A major trail crosses our property and any and all ATV's and snowmachines and our own plow truck that are running in the yard are to be pursued and bitten and barked at viciously. IT IS SO ANNOYING!!!!
    Now the plow truck has brakes fixed :goodjob: and hubby has decided to let LilyPup ride in the truck with him and she won't get out when he is done. :rolleyes: so we leave the door open and eventually she decides her ride is over.
    We will be getting a box on the ATV for her to ride in too.....I'm sure she's thinking "It took you this long to figure me out!! Stupid humans!"

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

My border collie is hyper but she's extremely well behaved. I've never had to whup her, scolding works fine.

Even as a puppy she did little chewing on anything besides her dog toys, and she only got in the trash ONCE. I scolded her but good and she's never bothered the trash since.

The only problem I have with her is that sometimes she runs off down the road a few blocks. Wouldn't really be a problem except I just don't want her to get run over. But she's awfully good to come back when I call her.

She's an unusually good dog and I'm proud to have her (just wish she would get under the covers with me when it's cold, but she insists on sleeping on top of them lol).

3. Bresias

Bresias Restless User

We have a basenji with the prey drive/chasing the ATV thing. He literally plays chicken with it. What broke him (a little) was getting RUN OVER :eek: but somehow, thank God, not hurt.

We rigged an accidentally stolen recycling bin from our place in CA with a clip where we can fasten the dogs collar so he doesn't jump out. He will ride in it for a while, then jumps out unexpectedly. He can't now. There is a guy up here with several hunting hounds he packs on the back of his six wheeler atv, clipped the same way.

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

You guys' dogs sound like my Corgi. He will jump at anything, but if you don't slow down, you will be ok. It's the ones who slow down that he stands in front of and then they are stuck for good. He is arrogant, too, will growl at you, thats the way he talks. He has never been rewarded for any of his bad behaviour, and yet he still does it. I just let him hang out with the hens in the summer, and crate him in the winter (in the house) so he won't growl at all of us all day.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

She doesnt bite the people just the tires and we have litterally told people to not slow down for her and I know that sounds awful but its true.

Her naughty behavior when bored is digging.....now that the ground is finally frozen she has stopped....she has chewed one complete side of chipboard on our goatkid box.....

We don't hit her when we catch her being naughty, we *try* to catch her and kennel her or tie her up....she sulks. She talks with her ears mostly.

Hubby's old girl was the most polite German Shorthair known to man....Lily is like a bull in a China shop with good intentions. Its hard for him to like a dog that is so much like him :eek:

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

OH MAN does she sound like my Corgi. He sulks like it's our fault he growls and jumps all over people.
    And I tell my friends not to slow down for them, but they don't want to be one one he doesn't move for and run over him. I can understand that.
    My other corgi is a tire biter, but he is slow so he can't get near a moving vehicle. He is a riot when I vaccum, though. Teeth marks on the vaccum bag and all!

7. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

According to most canine authorities, the domestication of man is still a work in progress.

8. Mary in MO

Mary in MO Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth!!

My border mix is murder on the vacum. He spends his days herding the cats and making sure they obey the rules. :viking: Nights are spent making sure DH is in line and doesn't get *dogs spot* on the bed. :viking: Very particular about that one. Cute boy.

Mary