dog and cat poop removal necessary?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by apple, Feb 26, 2005.

1. apple

apple New Member

This is my first post...I hope I'm doing it right. Anyway, my question is: when starting a garden, is it necessary to take measures to clean up the area of cat and dog poop (other than picking up the obvious)? The previous owners of my yard let their dogs poop freely, so I'm concerned about leftovers making their way into my garden's food supply. I don't want to have to treat chemically if possible, at least not extensively. But I also don't want my plants to be absorbing old (or new!) poop and/or urine. Thanks for any advice.

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Apple, welcome to the forum!

As far as poop goes, I think if you pick up the obvious stuff, and are scrupulous about washing the produce (and your hands, of course) you should be ok. Parasite eggs can winter over, and some can stay alive in soil for many years. We do the best we can. Don't use any chemicals on your garden site. I can't think of anything you could use for this problem even if you wanted to. I don't believe urine is harmful, and (I think) it's high in nitrogen.

3. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Welcome apple!!
    I agree... just pick up what you see and that should be ok.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

depending on your ph you could lime but if you pick up what you see there should be little problem .urine is basicaly inert though deer carry a disease that can multiply in water.always wash hands and produce!!! all kinds of bacteria in soil unless sterilized in an auto clave ..

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Apple- even those of us who have no DEFINITE dog or cat poop have to take these precautions- wash dirt off hands and produce, especially carefully when/if one is pregnant- since we never know if a dog cat or wild animal who harbors dangerous things might have left their mark recently or longer but the infectious particles still persist. The likelihood and risk of these infections though is much less than the dangers of many common garden chemicals especially when used casually and frequently as in many American yards.