Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a mile as the crow flies, there's a farmer with an intact black lab. Young. He goes around the neighborhood, and no one seems to mind, despite a leash law. He's friendly with people and I believe other dogs. He was caught on another occasion not by us and brought about an hour's drive away to the pound. His family bailed him out.

When he came to our house this fall, he discovered my goats and chickens and chased them. Luckily, we were home and caught him and brought him home under orders he wasn't welcome. Skip ahead until today and he was back.

I called animal control and he didn't answer but did call back after 1.5 hours. By then the dog was gone. I put my goats inside and the chickens were already closed up, so no harm done, but it's aggravating. The owner is a farmer, but his girlfriend is not, so I don't know what happened. The dog is a 'good' dog (needs training), I don't truly blame him.

I've never shot a gun in my life, we don't even have a good one, but even if I did, I don't really want to kill it.

On these days, I wish I had a LGD.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It’s only a dog , some times they run off ?
I have 2 70ld poodles and if they need some loven they are gone .
People start posting them on face book .
They are both good dogs. But we have a lot of city people moving in just like to com plane .
They don’t chase chickens and get a long with every one . 🤷‍♂️I don’t cry if I have a dog in my yard ***

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
I guess this is going to be another one of those threads.

Dogs chasing and killing livestock are a bad thing. Livestock owners have the right to protect their animals from dog harassment. Dog owners do not have the right to let their dogs go forth and destroy.

Since you have caught and returned the dog before, I think it would be neighborly to catch the dog again if it returns. It's up to you if you want to return it to the neighbor with a bill and another warning or if you prefer to turn it into the pound yourself.

Another option is to pen your chickens and goats up in Fort Knox and put up electrified fencing. The Fort Knox option prevents wild predators from getting to your animals too.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I guess this is going to be another one of those threads.

Dogs chasing and killing livestock are a bad thing. Livestock owners have the right to protect their animals from dog harassment. Dog owners do not have the right to let their dogs go forth and destroy.

Since you have caught and returned the dog before, I think it would be neighborly to catch the dog again if it returns. It's up to you if you want to return it to the neighbor with a bill and another warning or if you prefer to turn it into the pound yourself.

Another option is to pen your chickens and goats up in Fort Knox and put up electrified fencing. The Fort Knox option prevents wild predators from getting to your animals too.
next time you catch him, put him a building or even the house. Wait for them to come for him. Then tell them you thought he was one of yours...they'll keep him home then---maybe. I just would hate to see him chained to a tree for the rest of his days....seen enough of that.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Keep turning him in again again. They will not like the fines. Funny we have a really sweet old boy treeing walker that stops by when his owner has him out treeing. He always comes to the door. Unless my raccoon is home. 2car was a emergency rescue that cause a 2 car accident both totaled in Baltimore. Son stopped to render assistance and as he walked by the baby **** he the raccoon reached up like a child to be picked up. Anyway fast forward. 2car is an adult but is free range. So I hooked up a water scarecrow. It hooks to the hose and activated by motion. So if the walker decides to skip the porch and chase 2car it gos off. Dog hits the bricks fast. **** laughs.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The goats are in electric netting, except right now the fence is partially buried in snow and I don't bother electrifying it. The goats have stayed in thus far-- being outside in the cold with no place better to go keeps them fairly self-contained.

In the fall when the dog first came over, he didn't break into the fence, he just spooked them enough to panic and the goats themselves tried escaping and did succeed. That's when he started chasing them. I feel like I could have Fort Knox against the dog, but if the goats go berserk, they stampede through/over and then they're fair game for the dog.

I am on good terms with our select board chair, who is sister-in-law to the dog's owner. I will make an appeal to her.

If I lived away from the road and neighbors, I'd probably try to keep him.

What's ironic is the owner lost his former dog when it was loose, and a driver hit and killed it without stopping. Apparently that trauma didn't prevent the same from happening again.

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
If you don't want to shoot him, you have a few other options.

Take him to a pound far, far away.

Rehome him to a responsible person.

Get a paintball marker gun and send him home covered in multi-colored spots.

Use your shotgun to pepper his rear end with rock salt.

Let him abuse your animals.

As @Danaus29 noted, your neighbors do not have the right to inflict their dog on your stock. Are they aware that, if their dog harms your animals. they will have to pay to replace your stock and its progeny?

This must be dealt with, and it appears your neighbors are not inclined to do so. Unfortunately, you are going to have to be the one to deal with this animal.

I know it's not the dog's fault, but this cannot continue.

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
duplicate

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Keep turning him in again again. They will not like the fines. Funny we have a really sweet old boy treeing walker that stops by when his owner has him out treeing. He always comes to the door. Unless my raccoon is home. 2car was a emergency rescue that cause a 2 car accident both totaled in Baltimore. Son stopped to render assistance and as he walked by the baby ** he the raccoon reached up like a child to be picked up. Anyway fast forward. 2car is an adult but is free range. So I hooked up a water scarecrow. It hooks to the hose and activated by motion. So if the walker decides to skip the porch and chase 2car it gos off. Dog hits the bricks fast. ** laughs.
Oh too funny ****= raccoon

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I few days ago I posted about the eight dogs that trotted through my yard one morning while I was out doing chores. There are only three of them left.

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
If roaming dogs were as precious to their owners as livestock is to their owners, there would be few roaming dogs.

edited because sometimes, despite your best efforts, critters occasionally go wandering.

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Get a pair of quality LGDs. I know for a fact a good LGD will keep other dogs away from your stock............

Reactions: altair

·
Premium Member
7,258 Posts
Have a neighbor that in spite of leash laws, lets his 2 dogs roam free, Every now and then, he'd tie them up for a couple days, but that was about it. Never saw him put out any food or water for them. Both good dogs, but untrained.

A few weeks ago, I saw him dragging one dog home, it was just limp in his hands. I thought the dog had finally been hit by a car, but no, when he sat down to rest from all the dragging, I saw the dog move. The fellow got up and finished dragging the dog to the side of the house where he tied it up, and he came around to the front of his house. As soon as he hit the front of the house, the dog took off running and high-tailed it across the street and off down a cross street. The man ran after, yelling and waving.

Since then, I saw him bringing the limp dog home a couple more times. It wouldn't stay, it apparently found a home that actually LIKES it. Some dogs are smart enough to KNOW when they've gotten a bum deal....and to know when a GOOD one pops up.

Maybe you just need to make the dog yours.

Mon

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
If roaming dogs were as precious to their owners as livestock is to their owners, there would be few roaming dogs.

edited because sometimes, despite your best efforts, critters occasionally go wandering.
I'm having issues with my English Setter taking off for parts unknown, but so far, none of the neighbors have said anything. Believe me, if Cappy were messing with their stock, I would be made aware of it.

That said, Cappy is trained, but he is young. Poor dog's biggest problem is his owner...

Reactions: altair

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
If my neighbors forget to harness their one dog before they open the house door, the dog takes off like a rocket. They are good people and treat the dog very well. Dog just has a thing about running away.

I know that sometimes, despite the best intentions, dogs do go off exploring or for a long run. It's the people who don't try to teach the dog to stay home that cause problems. And those people are the ones most likely to get upset when someone else doesn't want Fido "playing" with livestock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts