Does your town have abandoned buildings?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fantasymaker, Dec 30, 2006.

1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Would it like a new small business? I know of a business needing a shop of at least 1600 square feet under roof . Of course it could use more but thats a minumum.
    It does metal fabracting and would likey start at 2 employees .
    It needs the following.
    Understanding neighbors,
    The work sometimes continues till 2 am.
    a lot of the scarp and salvege winds up outside...unless there is additional space under roof.
    A nearby hardware store.
    a nearby steel suppler (30 miles)
    semitruck access
    reasonable electricity prices
    Nearby restaurant
    nearby quikstop type gas

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

--- Very long time operator of a tractor repair shop recently died. Shop will eventually come up for sale as son has no interest in continuing business. Likely contents, then building and land will eventually be auctioned off. Wife may be interested in an offer though. I believe several acres come with it, include what use to be a homesite. Local Economic Development Office might be able to assist a new business.

I know of a business needing a shop of at least 1600 square feet under roof . Of course it could use more but thats a minumum.

--- Building has one large bay with three tall doors, parts storage and separate office. Don't know square feet, but should readily be 1,600. Up on a rise over a state highway with I-40 about 14 miles away.

It does metal fabracting and would likey start at 2 employees.

--- May be a problem there with the quality of local labor pool.

It needs the following.
    Understanding neighbors,

--- None really nearby.

The work sometimes continues till 2 am.

--- Shouldn't be a problem.

a lot of the scarp and salvege winds up outside...unless there is additional space under roof.

--- Tractors and such stored outside now. In city limits though.

A nearby hardware store.

--- About two miles.

a nearby steel suppler (30 miles)

--- Pick up both between 50 & 70 miles away. Jackson (TN) Steel delivers but requires a forklift to unload.

semitruck access

--- May be a slight problem.

reasonable electricity prices

--- TVA.

Nearby restaurant

--- Within walking distance. Breakfast and lunch only though. Others within two miles.

nearby quikstop type gas

--- Within two miles.

Location is south of Waverly, TN about one mile right off Highway 13. Very liveable area.

3. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

How about Wichita, KS? They have the largest conceration of aircraft manufacturers so no shortage of labor pool or any suppliers around here. You do have to be alert to the potential employees' qualifications. Many of them will lie to get a good paying aircraft manufacturing job which starts around $15 an hour here. I'm headed to college to get trained in cnc machining myself in a few months.

4. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

Ted, have you looked into tech schools? Also many plants will hire operator trainees, many have training classes for those interested in learning cnc.

5. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Ted they are looking for a place where the property will either be cheep or they will be paid to take it. Jobs and a going concern mean a lot to a small town but I dont think Wichita cares much about something that small.

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Look at Charlotte, TX. Just south of San ANtonio, plenty of empty buildings, all the access via I-37 you can ask for. Cheap labor.

7. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

The little town I grew up in has the following:

Two buildings, former shops, meet the description. One of the buildings was my dad's/brother's metal fabricating shop in recent years.
    One has no close neighbors, sits out on the creek away from town.
    Rural, farm community, DC Metals (Amish metal fabricating/supplier) and Graber Post (buildings) 9 miles away.
    Highway runs through town.
    Low taxes, several nice houses available - lots of elderly
    moved away or died, used to keep up their places quite well (German community).
    Local restaurant open from 6am to 2 pm, full of farmers, truckers, and coal miners at lunch (and maybe at breakfast, haven't been by that early).
    Quickstop gas station 2 miles away in next little town, hardware and auto parts stores in town 6 miles the other way.
    Location is northern Knox County, Indiana, county seat is Vincennes.
    Otherwise, in the little town, are a church, post office, and Craft/Antique shop, pretty quiet place, new business would definitely be a boost. :)

8. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

You are talking about Ladoga, IN. Nucor steel mill less than 5 mins north of town. I saw two buildings for sale just today. Patsy's Sunshine Cafe on the north side of Main st, just down from the hardware store. Gas station with small restuarant inside. 10 minutes or less to interstate I-74. There's a bank, and another gas station also. Scott's market across from the cafe, with a butcher's shop in the back. They also do deli sandwiches.

There's a trucking firm on the north edge of town....or used to be. There is NO ZONING....ask me how I know. There's a couple of body shops in town too.

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Around here the overhead would be way too high and the minimum wage is now $6.80. That's totally unskilled part-time high school labor wage...

10. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Around here I have seen a few deserted farmhouses with attached barns.

Sorry, 'round here you would most likely not have anyone within a mile of you.

And you want someone to care?

My freeway exit is 10 miles from a big city [Bangor Maine], they got it all. Shopping mall, steel outlet, etc.

Yeah

Most small towns around here have one combination: restaurant/convenience store/gas station/real-estate office/deli/magazine stand.

Our town is too small though.

To have a restaurant/etc, takes a health inspector and building inspector, and those things require taxes, which requires a tax collector and a mayor. My township don’t need none of that taxation stuff. So we drive to any neighboring township where the higher property taxes are, when we need to buy stuff.

:)

11. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

try Linden tn, or lobellville tn area --places to eat are close by, need jobs, Heck i will jump to get off the road if i could find a decent job! Lobellville has some abondened areas, its south of waverly 10 miles off i40

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Don't look anywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area. There is no vacant land, all the farmland is slated for development, and anything that looks remotely run down is bought up and 'flipped' immediately.

13. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Since our County has NO building codes, abandoned buildings stand as long as the Tax assessor gets his dues!

Heck one town near here has a old store, that is now a antique shop, they call it "Noah's Ark" because the center foundation in the building sunk, and the ends didn't sink, so it looks like a ark! :rolleyes: :cool:

Heck we had a old abandoned Truck stop that shut down in the early 80's, it was just demolished last month, it was neat, the building was obviously falling apart, the parking lot Light poles were even still up.

We have many abandoned gas stations around here, because nobody wants to clean up the sites.(federal red tape)

We also have abandoned Oil Field service buildings dating back to the 40's, it is neat the buildings have like 2x8's for the walls, the garage doors are made out of wood on slides, and the buildings really show neat things, like queen truss construction for the roof trusses.

It is truly amazing entering a old compressing building and seeing a bumper sticker on the door saying,
    "America needs Illinois Basin Crude oil, say NO to OPEC"

It's like I've stepped back in time...

14. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Pancho,

I've been exploring attending tech schools but have to wait and hear back from the vocational rehab person who's supposed to pay for my education and if he says no go..he might or might not...then I may have to consider paying my way thru school. There are 3 here so that's not a bad thing.

Ted

15. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Here the county has no building codes of it's own, so we use the national building codes.

The State Forestry Department [called LURC] issues building permits and when you are done building the owner signs a certificate of self-inspection.

LOL

Otherwise to have a tax assessor on a payroll, would raise taxes.

:)